Geneanet > Search > Library

A history of Uniontown : the county seat of Fayette County, Pennsylvania

Record reserved for Premium members

Access the entire Genealogy Library: old books, monographs, old newspapers, etc. More than 3 billion individuals indexed, a gold mine you shouldn't miss to enrich your genealogy!
From $4.13 per month

A history of Uniontown : the county seat of Fayette County, Pennsylvania

A history of Uniontown : the county seat of Fayette County, Pennsylvania

Source : Internet Archive

A history of Uniontown : the county seat of Fayette County, Pennsylvania

A history of Uniontown : the county seat of Fayette County, Pennsylvania

Source : Internet Archive

Results : BEESON


Page 9

two Quaker brothers, Henry and Jacob Beeson, describing the early buildings that occupied the same and reciting many reminiscences connected


Page 15

Several Others-The Uniontown Hospital-The Old Henry Beeson Mansion 808-818


Page 16

James Hadden Frontispiece Henry Beeson, Founder of Uniontown 16


Page 16

Jack Beeson's Medal 538


Page 16

laid out by Henry and Jacob Beeson 64


Page 16

The Old Henry Beeson Mansion 784


Page 25

three brothers, Richard, Edward and William Beeson, emigrated from Lancashire, England, and landed at Baltimore in the year 1682, and


Page 25

Henry Beeson was born near the present site of Martinsburg, Virginia, May 19, 1743, and


Page 26

one received a hearty welcome, Henry Beeson and his family were the recipients of such the day they arrived at


Page 27

1786, was issued direct to Jacob Beeson. Henry sold the residue of this tract, 104 acres, on the south, to


Page 27

purchase of the Douthet tract Mr. Beeson purchased another containing 375 acres lying contiguous on the east of the Douthet


Page 27

Henry Beeson soon determined to purchase also a tract of


Page 28

Tickets immediately." July 4th, 1776. Henry Beeson.


Page 28

to the western limit of Mr. Beeson's tract, now Morgantown street on the west. This plat comprised two streets and


Page 29

Henry Beeson subsequently laid off two additions to the original town in order, as he


Page 29

35 was generously donated by Mr. Beeson for public purposes and was known as the Central Public Grounds, and it


Page 30

the lot would revert to Henry Beeson. The purchasers were also obligated to pay to Henry Beeson, his heirs or


Page 30

deeds for the same, and Mr. Beeson changed his manner of disposing of them. The Revolutionary war and Indian invasions


Page 30

Jacob Beeson.


Page 31

Jacob Beeson finding a demand for lots in the town of Union, coneluded to lay


Page 31

in the distance. Into this Mr. Beeson moved his family and here resided until his death.


Page 35

sotith which ineluded the Old Henry Beeson mansion, and on the north, ineluding what was known as Westburg, and on


Page 42

Dutton, and later that of Isaac Beeson. A frame dwelling was erected on this part of the lot by John


Page 43

the natural love and affection Henry Beeson had for her. Mrs. Mc Donald was the widow of Dennis Mc-Donald, and


Page 48

Alexander Mc Clean purchased from Henry Beeson the block of lots, Nos. 17, 18, 19 and 20 in the original


Page 49

came into the ownership of Isaac Beeson, and Mrs. Hanna Matilda Connell was Mr. Beeson's tenant. She was a sister


Page 49

Mrs. Hanna Matilda Connell was Mr. Beeson's tenant. She was a sister of Joseph Pennock and of Mrs. Beeson and


Page 49

of Joseph Pennock and of Mrs. Beeson and here kept boarders and taught school.


Page 62

No. 24 was purchased from Henry Beeson by Jacob Knapp, November 3, 1789. He evidently kept a tavern on this


Page 64

13, 1794, conveyed it to Jacob Beeson, son of Henry Beeson, the founder of the town. He was born April


Page 64

to Jacob Beeson, son of Henry Beeson, the founder of the town. He was born April 3, 1769. His first


Page 65

on barbering here in 1835. Richard Beeson, son of Jacob, occupied this as a residence for a while and so


Page 65

F. Hamilton, whose wife was Louisa Beeson, daughter of Isaac Beeson, Dr.


Page 65

a short time, and when Isaac Beeson tore away the old frame and built a two-story brick residence in 1836,


Page 65

frame building, also belonging to Jacob Beeson and was occupied at various times by different tenants. John A. Donne, an


Page 66

1841 purchased this property from Isaac Beeson and here established himself as a baker and confectioner, which business he conducted


Page 66

Samuel King purchased from Henry Beeson a part of lot No. 25, containing 45 feet on Elbow street, June


Page 66

Before the death of Jacob Beeson, his son, Henry W. took charge of the store, Nov. 26, 1818, with


Page 66

large frame building painted red. Richard Beeson purchased this property at the sale of his father's estate and he in


Page 69

who married Jane, daughter of Jacob Beeson, founder of the western part of the town, came from Western Virginia and


Page 69

kind of country produce whatever." John Clark Beeson, a namesake of John Clark before mentioned owned and occupied this property


Page 70

purchased lot No. 36 from Henry Beeson in 1789. They were brothers of Rebecca Mc Clelland, mother of Joseph P.


Page 70

Wood purchased this property from Mr. Beeson and occupied it as a residence and rented the business rooms for many


Page 72

Richard Beeson purchased this property April 18, 1833.


Page 73

He was a brother of Isaac Beeson and a prominent attorney of the Fayette county bar. He removed to Pittsburgh


Page 75

Robert Skiles married Rachel Beeson, a daughter of Jacob Beeson, the founder of the western part of the


Page 75

avenue, and was purchased from Henry Beeson by James Mc Cullock March 16, 1784, for five pounds. John Slack kept


Page 75

the location of Washington Springs. Jacob Beeson came into possession of this lot, and he sold it to Christian Tarr,


Page 75

western part of the town. Mr. Beeson deeded this property to Robert Skiles, February 10, 1813, and Mr. Skiles erected


Page 77

this lot, No. 30, from Henry Beeson June 7, 1794. He was joined on the west by Jacob Bickle at


Page 79

Philip Dilts purchased of Henry Beeson a lot fronting 93


Page 80

1853, and upon its completion, Edmund Beeson, son of Isaac, occupied it as a hardware store and residence, removing the


Page 80

vacant for some time, when Isaac Beeson purchased it and erected thereon a three-story brick business room and dwelling above.


Page 81

property from the widow of Edmund Beeson, January 31, 1884 and occupied it as a residence and a full line


Page 81

Philip Dilts purchased from Henry Beeson part of lots 30


Page 82

James Chaplain purchased from Henry Beeson the eastern half of lot No. 32, and 17% feet of the western


Page 84

while under the proprietorship of Jesse Beeson, from 1809 to 1818, John Lewis then followed with a saddlery and harness


Page 85

LAID OUT BY HEXRY AND JACOB BEESON.


Page 89

came into the possession of Henry W. Beeson, son of Jacob Beeson, merchant, and grandson of Henry Beeson, the founder


Page 89

Henry Beeson, son of Jacob Beeson, merchant, and grandson of Henry Beeson, the founder of the town, in 1815,


Page 90

came into the possession of Charles H. Beeson, son of Isaac, who occupied the residence part as a dwelling until


Page 90

Isaac Beeson, known as the prince of merchants of the town, conducted business here for


Page 91

Faw, of Fredericktown, Maryland, by Henry Beeson, September 4, 1790, for 10 pounds Pennsylvania money, equal to twenty-six and two-thirds


Page 91

Bierer, E. B. Dawson and William Beeson were among the pupils of this school. The part of the lot since


Page 92

Daniel Huston, with his son-in-law, Henry R. Beeson, as agent, succeeded Swearingen in this room with a stock of groceries


Page 92

store room next to Isaac Beeson's where he is now opening his stock of spring and summer goods, groceries,


Page 93

Eliza L. Beeson, formerly the widow of James Gibson, and Cornelius Claggett purchased the eastern


Page 96

until his marriage to Miss Mary Beeson, daughter of Henry Beeson, Jr., son of Henry Beeson the founder of the


Page 96

Miss Mary Beeson, daughter of Henry Beeson, Jr., son of Henry Beeson the founder of the town, December 34, 1826.


Page 98

lot was released back to Henry Beeson for the sum of one hundred dollars and, along with the public alley


Page 106

This old mill, erected by Henry Beeson in 1773, was the first mill erected in this section of the country,


Page 108

William Mc Farlin bought from Henry Beeson a part of lot No. 38, next to No. 39, fronting 26 feet


Page 115

Mr. Isaac Beeson purchased this lot in 1838 or '39, and tore away the old Collins


Page 115

" Big Padlock." Edmund Beeson was the partner in this firm.


Page 116

in all these firms was Isaac Beeson, the prince of merchants of the town.


Page 116

the business was continued by Mr. Beeson for a short time.


Page 117

opposite side of the street. Isaac Beeson and Company occupied this room with a stock of hardware, at the sign


Page 122

the title reverted back to Henry Beeson and John Strayer became the owner of it. Mr. Strayer was a saddler


Page 124

John Clark Beeson was located here with a furniture store in 1867.


Page 127

same time the barn of Isaac Beeson, near the old Beeson mansion house on the hill was burned.


Page 131

of the eastern part and Isaac Beeson 30 fe%t of the western part of this lot.


Page 131

William Secrest bought from Henry Beeson lots Nos. 44


Page 136

attorney, June 15, 1793, authorized Henry Beeson to convey this lot to Jacob Beeson who conveyed the same to Hugh


Page 136

to convey this lot to Jacob Beeson who conveyed the same to Hugh Finley who in 1803, conveyed the same


Page 145

the white frame building opposite Isaac Beeson & Co., at the sign of the " Big Boot," in 184.5. Then


Page 147

which several merchants did business, Henry H. Beeson who was a son-in-law of Jonathan Downer, was in business in this


Page 147

Mr. Beeson served in the war of 1813, as mentioned elsewhere.


Page 150

called Mill Seat, patented to Henry Beeson, and that of the tract called Mount Vernon, patented to Jacob Beeson, was


Page 150

called Mount Vernon, patented to Jacob Beeson, was what is now the middle of Morgantown street.


Page 152

to have been founded by Jacob Beeson, son of Henry Beeson, the founder of the town, in 1783, after a


Page 152

were succeeded in 1885 by Henry Beeson and Robert Hook, who in the spring of 1888 were succeeded by John


Page 152

vacant for some time when Charles E. Beeson moved the remaining goods of the famous old Beeson store from the


Page 158

Ed. H. Yeager, variety store, Harry Beeson succeeded Yeager with a news, book and stationery store from


Page 162

the old store room of Henry H. Beeson and sold to Rev. Alfred Newlbn, who had recently purchased the store


Page 170

from Jacob Beeson, and after several transfers it came into the


Page 174

by Daniel Sharpnack & Son, Henry R. Beeson, John D. Ruby, who kept here for many years, and others.


Page 174

Johnson, John, who married first Anna Beeson and second Elizabeth Ellis, and after being in the mercantile business here for


Page 177

This lot was purchased from Jacob Beeson by his youngest child, Henry H. Beeson in 1813, and in 1815, sold


Page 177

Beeson by his youngest child, Henry H. Beeson in 1813, and in 1815, sold to Thomas Brownfield upon which he


Page 178

Jacob Beeson, the founder, constructed a saw-mill which stood a considerable distance back from Elbow


Page 178

of the lot sold to Henry H. Beeson, from which it was separated by an alley. The race that conveyed


Page 180

Jacob's run, named after Jacob Beeson, now known as Coal Lick run, was the western borough, limit at the


Page 180

Henry Beeson, the founder of Uniontown, settled west of the mountains in the spring of


Page 181

married Rebecca, a daughter of Jacob Beeson, March 39, 1798, and went to housekeeping in the old log house.


Page 181

Jacob Beeson Miller, was born. Mary Beeson, daughter of Jacob Beeson, married William Barrickman about the year 1800 and settled


Page 181

resided when his first child, Jacob Beeson Miller, was born. Mary Beeson, daughter of Jacob Beeson, married William Barrickman about


Page 187

two tracts of Henry and Jacob Beeson. Main street west of this line was known as Jacob's Addition to the


Page 193

Abner Greenland, Robert Kinkead and Jesse Beeson were mentioned to succeed him. This effort, although giving Mr. Campbell much concern,


Page 193

liquors at that date were Isaac Beeson and John Campbell. Those who sold foreign goods but no liquor were George


Page 199

Fletcher, and Fletcher sold to Henry H. Beeson, and the latter sold, March ,23, 1827, twenty-four feet and nine inches


Page 200

of the twelve children of Jacob Beeson, one of the founders of Uniontown, and was born March 9, 1788, in


Page 200

Henry H. Beeson purchased this lot No. 6 in 1814, and in 1816


Page 200

the east. Into this building Mr. Beeson moved his family and opened a store, where he continued in business until


Page 201

purchased lot No. 7 from Jacob Beeson, September 15, 1794, for thirty pounds, Pennsylvania money, equal to eighty dollars. Back


Page 205

8 in Jacob's Addition from Jacob Beeson's executors, for $100.00, June 28, 1820, and on September 27th following, he transferred


Page 207

Thomas Hibben purchased from Jacob Beeson, January 13,


Page 208

heirs sold the property to Henry Beeson, miller.


Page 209

Jesse Beeson, the well-remembered miller of the town, was for many years an occupant and


Page 210

mill-race ran through this lot. Henry Beeson, Jr., son of Henry Beeson, the original founder of the town, occupied a


Page 210

23 in Jacob's Addition from Jacob Beeson, April 25, 1796. This was the most western lot sold on the north


Page 211

meeting was organized by electing Richard Beeson, Esq., president. Major Samuel Marshall and Matthew Allen, Esq., vicepresidents, and John Keffer,


Page 217

his son, Dr. William Sturgeon, Henry R. Beeson, Samuel S. Austin, Esq., and Daniel F. Cooper.


Page 218

Henry Beeson, Jr., son of Henry Beeson, the founder, purchased this property before the year


Page 218

under his son and successor, Jesse Beeson, his home was, on account of its room and the tidy manner in


Page 219

Henry Beeson, son of Jesse Beeson, had charge of the mill in 1851-52, and employed Alfred Clear as the


Page 219

Henry R. Beeson, son of Jesse Beeson, had charge of the mill in 1851-52, and


Page 220

site, October 22, 1877, to William Beeson, and on December 5, 1889, it was transferred to other parties. Thus, after


Page 220

the flying shuttle " at Henry Beeson's mill, August 2, 1830.


Page 220

fuller here in 1847, under Jesse Beeson.


Page 221

Henry Beeson, Jr., erected a frame dwelling close to the mill, on the west, and


Page 222

shop, as a residence for Elizabeth Beeson, the widow of his brother, Jesse Beeson, who died in 1826.


Page 222

Henry Beeson, Jr., built a two-story frame house west of the Henry Kerns wagon maker's


Page 222

with her niece, Sidney Gardner. Mrs. Beeson married as her second husband the Reverend James Guthrie, the old and well-remembered


Page 222

David Moreland purchased from Jacob Beeson a small piece of land containing eleven perches, lying between an old tail


Page 222

Harry Beeson purchased a part of this property and tore away


Page 222

the widow of his brother, Jesse Beeson, who died in 1826.


Page 225

sheriff, September 8, 1819, to Henry H. Beeson, who ineluded this lot in a tract sold to Lucius ^V. Stockton.


Page 225

Sulu." Ephraim Hankins contracted with Jacob Beeson, September


Page 225

of the mansion, thus leaving Mr. Beeson's fine mansion facing from the great thoroughfare. The eastern side of the mansion


Page 225

this mansion, his youngest child, Henry Hedges Beeson, was born, and this was the only one of his family of


Page 226

Jacob Beeson was tax collector for Union township, then composing what is now North and


Page 227

by trade, purchased from the Jacob Beeson estate sixteen and a half acres on the north side of the National


Page 229

to the western limit of Mr. Beeson's tract. The other 59 acres of Mr. Turner's purchase was situated on the


Page 229

Alexander Turner purchased from Jacob Beeson's executors


Page 230

B. Titlow, a granddaughter of Jacob Beeson, the original owner of the ground.


Page 231

that he conveyed it to Richard Beeson, who occupied it for some time. Hon. John Dawson purchased from Alexander Turner


Page 231

the log house in which Jacob Beeson first lived on settling west of the mountains.


Page 233

Margaret Allen purchased from Henry Beeson two pieces of land east of Redstone creek: one on the north side


Page 234

Before 1785, Henry Beeson laid off additional town lots, to the number of ten, east of Redstone


Page 235

Dr. Solomon Drown purchased from Henry Beeson a tract of land containing 13 acres, 3 qrs. and


Page 236

one-hundred acre tract belonging to Jesse Beeson, the oldest son of Henry Beeson. It is now the lot on the


Page 236

James Langsby purchased from Henry Beeson lot No. 1 in this addition, paying therefor the sum of $25.00. This


Page 237

Jesse Beeson purchased from Henry Beeson a tract of 90


Page 237

Jesse Beeson purchased from Henry Beeson a tract of 90


Page 238

Beeson was a son of Jacob Beeson and grandson of the founder of the town, and a brother of Isaac


Page 238

was the oldest child of Henry Beeson, the founder of the town, and was born at Martinsburg, Va., December 5,


Page 238

Jesse Beeson was the oldest child of Henry Beeson, the founder of the town, and


Page 238

Richard Beeson succeeded Jesse Beeson in the ownership and occupancy of this residence. He embellished


Page 238

town, and a brother of Isaac Beeson, the merchant. He was admitted to the bar of Fayette county November, 1816


Page 238

eastward to the limit of Mr. Beeson's tract, and comprised land on both sides of East Main street.


Page 239

elected October 11, 1843. Mr. Beeson at one time owned and resided in what was known as the Robert


Page 244

Dennis Springer purchased from Henry Beeson 73 acres and 8 perches of land, March 19, 1790, for 144 pounds.


Page 244

reached the eastern limit of Mr. Beeson's tract. Here Mr. Springer, who was the pioneer of the numerous Springer family


Page 247

the western limit of the Jesse Beeson addition to the town. .Villiam Reheard, who married Nancy Boyle, daughter of James


Page 251

original tracts of Henry and Jacob Beeson.


Page 258

second was sold to Mr. Isaac Beeson, who removed it to Fayette street near Redstone creek, where it subsequently became


Page 258

the public grounds donated by Jacob Beeson, the founder of the western part of the town. This old building was


Page 259

Jacob Knapp purchased from Henry Beeson a lot containing 157 perches on the south side of South street and


Page 260

John Collins purchased from Henry Beeson, May 20, 1795, two acres and 84 perches of land fronting on the


Page 260

now known as Playford's alley. Mr. Beeson reserving the right of way of the old millrace which passed within the


Page 266

blacksmith and cutler, purchased from Henry Beeson, 1790, a tract of nearly nine acres, lining on the east side of


Page 270

and of the first Mrs. Isaac Beeson. Her first husband was Captain John Council, who had been a sea captain


Page 270

as far as Foundry alley, Henry Beeson laid off a number of lots which he named " Henry's Addition." These


Page 278

Jane Skiles, the widow of Henry Beeson, Jr., a son of Henry Beeson, the founder of the town. His daughter,


Page 279

the sheriff, August 3, 1823. Isaac Beeson, on Dec. 5, 1840, conveyed this to Joseph Moser who conveyed the two


Page 280

Addition was left open by Henry Beeson, the founder of the town, for access to his mansion, and after the


Page 282

as a body servant to Henry H. Beeson during the latter's service in the war of


Page 285

Addition was not sold by Henry Beeson as a town lot, but remained in connection with the tract of 65


Page 285

a deed for it, and Mr. Beeson made a change in the original plot, locating Nos. 15, 16, 17 and


Page 288

called Great Bethel, purchased from Henry Beeson one acre of ground on the east side of the great road leading


Page 289

tract of land adjoining the Henry Beeson tract on the south, and having descended to William Mc Coy who sold


Page 297

when Norval H. Hellen and Henry R. Beeson succeeded here in 1850.


Page 297

the public grounds donated by Jacob Beeson, became too filthy for use, Robert Patterson, who had occupied a stall in


Page 298

Jacob Beeson laid off an addition to the town of Union which he named Jacob's


Page 301

the Public Grounds donated by Jacob Beeson, 33 feet of lot No. 1 were absorbed by that street, the Episcopal


Page 303

generous gift of William and John Kennedy Beeson.


Page 307

moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and John K. Beeson moved in as owner and occupant.


Page 310

the lot was sold to John K. Beeson who tore away the old buildings and allowed the lot to lay


Page 310

Wood, John Wood, and John Clark Beeson.


Page 313

conveyed the same back to Jacob Beeson for $60.00, and on the same day Jacob Beeson conveyed it to John


Page 313

frontage of 55 feet from Richard Beeson and made this her home the remainder of her life, and after her


Page 313

while in the ownership of Jesse Beeson, 1809-1818. Mr.


Page 314

Henry Beeson, miller, son of Henry Beeson, the founder, purchased this lot and by will


Page 314

Frederick Byrer, and he to Richard Beeson, and he to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal church for a parsonage,


Page 315

Jacob's Second Addition belonged to Jacob Beeson, and the dividing line between Jacob and Henry Beeson threw the remaining portion


Page 315

dividing line between Jacob and Henry Beeson threw the remaining portion of the frontage on Henry's side. Consequently it required


Page 316

on Morgantown street, and from Jacob Beeson the rear part of these lots, September 15, 1798.


Page 316

the tracts of Jacob and Henry Beeson ran from a wild cherry stump which stood in the middle of Morgantown


Page 317

William Mc Arthur's deed to Jacob Beeson it is recited that this lot, No. 30, was known as the Martin


Page 317

Nos. 89 and 30 from Henry Beeson, September 18, 1807, for $50. Mr. Fell was a saddle-tree maker by trade


Page 319

lots were sold back to Henry Beeson at sheriff's sale, September 13, 1805, who the same day transferred them to


Page 322

Anthony Swain purchased 'from Henry Beeson four acres of ground immediately south of Henry's Addition, on the west side


Page 322

to the southern line of Mr. Beeson's tract. Mr. Swain lived in a log house on this lot and kept


Page 324

also a corner of the Henry Beeson tract, the Tomlinson


Page 326

property , Jane, who married Jesse Beeson the well remembered miller of the town, Drusilla, who married Burgess Hammond of


Page 329

Central Public grounds, donated by Henry Beeson, the founder of the town, and upon which now stands the public county


Page 329

first flouring mill in 1773. Mr. Beeson occupied this Douthett house until he erected his mansion house on the side


Page 331

now North Beeson avenue, and Jacob Beeson, brother of Henry, bought all the land west of Middle alley and north


Page 332

Pittsburgh street belonged to the Jacob Beeson tract and was in Jacob's Addition. A log dwelling and a blacksmith's shop


Page 334

were granted a deed from Jacob Beeson and Elizabeth, his wife, for lots Nos. 27 and 28 in Jacob's Addition.


Page 340

learned the tanning trade with Jacob Beeson, whose daughter, Rebecca, he married. He erected the brick dwelling still standing on


Page 342

laid off about 1843 by Isaac Beeson and ran from Fayette street southward to Foundry street.


Page 347

that had been given by Henry Beeson, Jr., to his daughter, Mary, the wife of George W. Rutter. In the


Page 348

on land he purchased from Henry Beeson, March 8, 1780. He sold this tannery after conducting it a few years


Page 349

Levi, William, Ann, who married Henry H. Beeson, Jacob, who served in the war of 1812 , Elizabeth, who married


Page 352

Beeson avenue in honor of Henry Beeson the founder of the town.


Page 353

new street laid out by Isaac Beeson in April, 1839, known as Redstone street." On this Mr. Wathen built a


Page 353

of the Methodist Protestant church Richard Beeson conveyed to Thomas Wathen, October


Page 355

street by the heirs of Charles H. Beeson whose widow erected a fine brick residence at the head of the


Page 355

Palmer tore away the old Henry Beeson mansion which stood on the eastern side of this avenue and erected on


Page 358

William Lyon through a tract Henry Beeson had sold to James Mc Cullock and which subsequently came into the possession


Page 364

first wagon bridge was erected. Henry Beeson, Jr., son of Henry Beeson, the founder of the town, erected a saw-mill


Page 364

and made it his home. Isaac Beeson owned the lot on the corner at the entrance of Iowa street into


Page 365

At the death of Isaac Beeson the old saw-mill and lot between it and Fayette street became the property


Page 366

Guthrie, and former widow of Jesse Beeson. In this she made her home for a short time. Henry Melier, a


Page 369

Isaac Beeson built a large, two-story, double brick residence on lots Nos. 19 and 20,


Page 369

Gilmore was a tenant of Mr. Beeson in this house soon after his appointment as president judge of Fayette county.


Page 369

several years, as was Mrs. Eliza Beeson, widow of Isaac Beeson. William Beeson was in the occupancy of this property


Page 369

Beeson, widow of Isaac Beeson. William Beeson was in the occupancy of this property for many years, and died here


Page 371

to Mrs. Albert G. Beeson the eastern lot of the Lyon's plan of lots, on which, in


Page 371

the alley east of the Mrs. Beeson residence and occupied for some time. He was followed by a number of


Page 374

her death, April 12, 1906. Mr. Beeson came here from Fairmont, West Virginia, where he had been a man of


Page 374

the property was sold to Jacob C. Beeson who made this his home until his death, July 5,


Page 381

the public grounds donated by Jacob Beeson, the trustees of the church purchased from Isaac Wood a lot fronting 80


Page 384

the town, and daughter of Jacob Beeson, one of the founders of the town, purchased the first lot east of


Page 384

comfortable brick residence still standing. Isaac Beeson came into ownership of this property who sold it to Dr. John Cary


Page 390

Kinkead made his home. Mr. Isaac Beeson purchased this property and traded it in as part pay for the Mount


Page 394

named because it led to Henry Beeson's saw mill which stood on the site of the present synagogue of the


Page 399

came into the ownership of Isaac Beeson and later was purchased by Samuel Harah, the veteran hat manufacturer, and here


Page 399

now stands was purchased from Henry Beeson by Joseph Huston, August 2,


Page 400

13, 1834. Isaac Beeson, George Meason, Dr. Lewis Marchand, James Boyle and John Dawson composed the building


Page 400

Mary Lyon bought from Henry Beeson, July 31, 1798, the lot adjoining the Third Presbyterian church property on the


Page 407

Isaac Beeson erected a two-story brick residence, now known as No. 45 on this street,


Page 408

great saving of hand labor. Isaac Beeson became the owner of the old tilt hammer and surrounding grounds, about 1847.


Page 412

Beeson Addition-Was laid off by Jesse Beeson, son of Henry Beeson, the founder, on the south side of East Main


Page 412

by Jesse Beeson, son of Henry Beeson, the founder, on the south side of East Main street in 1818, and


Page 424

coroner of the county was Henry Beeson, from November 31, 1786, to October 30, 1789.


Page 453

for the public buildings from Henry Beeson, the proprietor of Uniontown, who on the 16th of March, 1784, " for


Page 453

to erect a court house Mr. Beeson generously added another lot on the west, and on this enlarged lot the


Page 464

Beeson was the son of Jacob Beeson, merchant, and grandson of Henry Beeson, the founder of Uniontown and a brother


Page 464

Beeson, merchant, and grandson of Henry Beeson, the founder of Uniontown and a brother of Isaac Beeson, merchant. He was


Page 464

Uniontown and a brother of Isaac Beeson, merchant. He was born May 9,


Page 464

Richard Beeson, Esq.


Page 465

made its first appearance with Richard Beeson as versifier, his effusion starting off thus :


Page 465

verses from the pen of Mr. Beeson were published in the Genius of Liberty of September 7, 1834, as a


Page 467

County now stands, the old Jesse Beeson mansion at the junction of Connellsville and Coolspring streets with East Main street


Page 467

He is Lord of all." Mr. Beeson owned considerable property in and about the town, among which may be mentioned


Page 482

Uniontown in July, 1845, General Henry W. Beeson, who had previously represented this district in congress, and had been an


Page 486

Andrew Stewart and Isaac Beeson were delegated to " represent and promote the interests of the Uniontown branch


Page 496

Meason, Hugh Thompson, Ellis Baily, Jacob Beeson, Jr., John Campbell , Reuben Baily, John Miller, David Ewing, George Ebert and


Page 497

Campbell, Ellis Baily, John Miller, Jacob Beeson, Jr., John Lyon, Isaac Meason, Jr., Alexander Vance. At a meeting of the


Page 498

Evans, Laurence Rider, John Lyon, Jacob Beeson, Samuel Trevor, Robert Skiles, John Witherow, John Campbell, David Ew^ing, Zadoc Springer, James


Page 499

and just: signed, Samuel Minor, Jacob Beeson, Robert Skiles, David Ewing, Samuel Y. Campbell, Thomas Irwin, John Strickler, John Hamilton,


Page 504

T. D. Bliss, Paying teller, William B. Beeson, Ladies' teller.


Page 509

1857. The corporators were Isaac Beeson, John Huston, Henry W. Beeson, Armstrong Hadden, Joshua B. Howell, Ewing Brownfield, Joseph


Page 509

were Isaac Beeson, John Huston, Henry W. Beeson, Armstrong Hadden, Joshua B. Howell, Ewing Brownfield, Joseph Johnson, John K. Ewing,


Page 512

1809, shows that Jesse Beeson had become proprietor, having as the motto of the paper, " Here shall


Page 512

was the oldest child of Henry Beeson, the founder of the town, and was brought here, a babe, when his


Page 531

at January term, 1835, appointed Richard Beeson and James Piper, school directors of Uniontown to carry out the law. On


Page 539

purchased by Jonathan Downer from Henry Beeson, June 8, 1793, located on the east side of Redstone creek. By an


Page 541

Ebert, Nathaniel Ewing, Robert Skiles, Isaac Beeson, all of Uniontown, James Barnes of Greene county, Richard Coulter of Greensburg, Robert


Page 542

Samuel Evans, Esq. secretary and Isaac Beeson, treasurer , they then proceeded to the election of the faculty of the


Page 550

Stockton, John Austin, Esq., Henry H. Beeson, Dr. Lutellus Lindley, Andrew Stewart, Esq., Thomas Irwin, Esq., Rev. George Hudson,


Page 550

Howell, Esq., Rev. James Sansom, Richard Beeson, Esq., John A. Sangston, Robert Darrah, Dr. Daniel Sturgeon, George Brown, Rev. Asa


Page 550

Charles Cook, John Dawson, secretary, Isaac Beeson, treasurer.


Page 556

Joshua Howell, Esq., William Nixon, Isaac Beeson, George Meason, Esq., Alexander Turner, William D. Barclay, Richard Beeson, Esq., John A.


Page 556

Alexander Turner, William Barclay, Richard Beeson, Esq., John A. Sangston, John Gallagher, Everhart Bierer, William Maquilken, Rev. J. M.


Page 556

Caroline Austin, Drusilla A. Beeson, Frances M. Beeson, Louisa Beeson, Mary Campbell, Susan Campbell, Mary E. Grain, Ellen


Page 556

A. Beeson, Frances Beeson, Louisa Beeson, Mary Campbell, Susan Campbell, Mary E. Grain, Ellen


Page 557

A. W. Barclay, Clark Beeson, Henry Beeson, Isaac Beeson, Jonathan Beeson, Monroe Beeson, Richard H. Beeson, Everard Bierer, Albert Byers,


Page 557

Barclay, Clark Beeson, Henry Beeson, Isaac Beeson, Jonathan Beeson, Monroe Beeson, Richard H. Beeson, Everard Bierer, Albert Byers, John Bierer,


Page 557

Beeson, Henry Beeson, Isaac Beeson, Jonathan Beeson, Monroe Beeson, Richard H. Beeson, Everard Bierer, Albert Byers, John Bierer, Benjamin Campbell,


Page 557

Beeson, Jonathan Beeson, Monroe Beeson, Richard H. Beeson, Everard Bierer, Albert Byers, John Bierer, Benjamin Campbell, William Campbell, Presley Canon,


Page 559

Flenniken, J. H. Deford, Esq., Isaac Beeson, Horatio Griffith, John M. Austin, Esq., P. U. Hook, J. L. Phillips, Richard


Page 559

U. Hook, J. L. Phillips, Richard Beeson, Esq., H. H. Beeson, Thomas Brownfield, Thomas J. Nesmith, W. S. Barnes, W.


Page 567

John Bailey, Brownsville, Pa. , Albert Beeson, Uniontown, Pa. , John K. Beeson, Uniontown Pa. , Henry Beeson, Fayette county.


Page 567

Albert Beeson, Uniontown, Pa. , John K. Beeson, Uniontown Pa. , Henry Beeson, Fayette county. Pa. , Alonzo Hopwood, Monroe,


Page 567

John Beeson, Uniontown Pa. , Henry Beeson, Fayette county. Pa. , Alonzo Hopwood, Monroe, Pa. , William D. Hopwood, Monroe,


Page 570

John Barker, Sharpsburg, Pa. , Albert G. Beeson, Uniontown, Pa. , John K. Beeson, Uniontown, Pa. , Henry W. Beeson,


Page 570

Albert Beeson, Uniontown, Pa. , John K. Beeson, Uniontown, Pa. , Henry W. Beeson, Fayette county, Pa. , Henry C.


Page 570

John Beeson, Uniontown, Pa. , Henry W. Beeson, Fayette county, Pa. , Henry C. Bunting, Uniontown, Pa. , Daniel Deford,


Page 571

Patterson, Esq., Thomas Nesmith, Richard Beeson, Henry H. Beeson, John S. Harah, Peter U. Hook, Rev. James Hopwood, John


Page 571

Thomas Nesmith, Richard Beeson, Henry H. Beeson, John S. Harah, Peter U. Hook, Rev. James Hopwood, John Gallagher, Horatio


Page 578

the Union Volunteers under Captain Richard Beeson ,


Page 580

and the Union Volunteers, Capt. Richard Beeson, making, collectively, a military display magnificent and imposing in the highest degree. The


Page 583

General Henry W. Beeson, president, assisted by Andrew Bryson, and Colonel Ewing Brownfield, vice-president, assisted by


Page 583

Henry Beeson, Joseph Springer, John Beeson, John Neads, Elisha Stevens, Benjamin Stevens, Daniel Downer, Abe Griffith, James Clark, Jonathan


Page 583

address was delivered by ex-Captain Richard Beeson, and the Declaration of Independence was read by E. P. Oliphant, Esq.


Page 584

Richard Beeson, Robert C. Wood, Joseph Mc Gee, James Bryant, William Crawford, Hugh Campbell, Robert


Page 584

Mullen, Milton Baily, Samuel Lewis, Isaac Beeson, Elijah Craft, I. Newton Craft, Alexander Mendenhall, Hardesty Walker, Daniel P. Lynch, Jacob


Page 589

elected: John Campbell, captain, Albert G. Beeson, first lieutenant, John K. Ewing, Jr., second lieutenant. In 1883, D. M.


Page 594

E. graveyard in Uniontown. Sergeant Henry Beeson, Jr., was a son of the founder of the town, and father of


Page 594

and father of the late Jesse Beeson the well remembered miller. Private Henry W. Beeson was a son of Jacob


Page 594

Beeson was a son of Jacob Beeson, founder of the famous Beeson store, and was a grandson of the founder


Page 595

live after his death. Private Henry H. Beeson was the youngest of the family of Jacob Beeson, one of the


Page 595

youngest of the family of Jacob Beeson, one of the founders of the town.


Page 596

tavern on East Main street. John Beeson was a private in Capt. Linn's company. He was of the militia stationed


Page 596

vessel to lower her flag. Mr. Beeson's services were recognized by the State by the presentation of a silver medal.


Page 601

the perilous deed, viz. : Edmund Beeson, Alexander Baine, Noah Burd, John Bishop, Cyrus L. Conner, John R. Crawford, James


Page 607

Edmund Beeson never missed a fight in which the company was engaged. He entered the


Page 610

Cruz, having been shot by Edmund Beeson in mistake for a skulking Mexican in a chaparal, and was taken to


Page 610

Jesse Beeson Gardner entered the city with his company.


Page 629

Hogue, Hugh Gorley, Ellis Baily, Edmund Beeson, Eli M. Gregg, H. H. Beeson, James F. Canon, Simon Sampsell, J. P.


Page 630

entirely destroyed, and those of Isaac Beeson on the west and of Robert Skiles on the east were badly damaged.


Page 631

Frisbie, Ellis Baily, William Wilson, Charles H. Beeson, Francis Harbaugh, Joseph L. Wylie, John Mustard, Armstrong Hadden, Henry T. Diffenderffer,


Page 631

Adam Richards, Samuel Austin, Jacob S. Beeson, George W. Cox, John M. Austin, John Siley, Nathaniel Brownfield, James P.


Page 631

Gaddis, John Bradbury, Benjamin Wintermute, Richard Beeson, Samuel S. Smith, George Meason, Hiram Blackledge, James P. Downer, David Olden, Daniel


Page 633

It is conceded that Mr. Isaac Beeson, the leading merchant at this time, and a man of superior commanding power,


Page 634

evening the barn of Mr. Isaac Beeson, just south of town, was burned. Some parties running to the Beeson barn


Page 635

captain of the Union was Isaac Beeson , the captain of the Madison was Col. Ewing Brownfield, the captain of


Page 636

of the apparatus belonging thereto. Mr. Beeson held this responsible position for three or four years, when an election was


Page 645

the sum of one dollar, Jacob Beeson and Elizabeth, his wife, convey to the inhabitants of Jacob's Second Addition a


Page 670

township, was the president, General Henry W. Beeson, treasurer, and Hugh Thompson, secretary, gave an exhibition the second Wednesday (10th


Page 684

team of powerful horses. General Henry W. Beeson, Col. John Morgan and Col. William Redick were prominent as officer Sj


Page 707

recorded a deed by which Jacob Beeson and Elizabeth, his wife, conveyed to David Jennings, Jacob Murphy, Samuel Stevens, Jonathan


Page 722

as 1781, and purchased from Henry Beeson lot No. 32, on which the residence of the late Hon. J. K.


Page 724

When the good Quaker, Henry Beeson, laid out the town of " Union " he set apart a plat


Page 727

Bazil Brownfield. He purchased of Henry Beeson, the founder of the town, a tract of two acres and 84 perches


Page 733

Beeson, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Beeson, died June 19, 1823, aged 56 years, 4 months and 2 days.


Page 733

Lydia Beeson, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Beeson, died June 19, 1823, aged 56 years,


Page 733

Miller and a granddaughter of Jacob Beeson, one of the founders of the town. She was the widow of James


Page 738

Robert Crawford Beeson died the 3rd of December, 1835, aged 1 year.


Page 739

He was the son of Henry Beeson, the founder of Uniontown, and was the founder of the original Beeson store,


Page 739

Jacob Beeson died February 13, 1820, in the 52nd year of his age. He was


Page 739

the father of the late Isaac Beeson and Gen.


Page 739

Lydia Beeson, wife of Jacob Beeson, died February 27,


Page 741

Rachel Beeson, daughter of Jacob Beeson, one of the original proprietors of Uniontown, wife of


Page 741

Rachel Beeson, daughter of Jacob Beeson, one of the original proprietors of Uniontown, wife of Robert Skiles, born March


Page 742

Jane Beeson, wife of John Clark, died July 24, 1855, in the 84th year of


Page 742

Martha Beeson, born November 4, 1810, died July 14, 1829.


Page 742

Mary C. Beeson, born September 9, 1816, died August 29,


Page 745

was the oldest child of Henry Beeson, the founder of Uniontown. He was a babe when his parents settled west


Page 745

1886. After the death of Mr. Beeson, Aunt Betsy married Rev. James Guthrie, pastor of the Laurel Hill Presbyterian church,


Page 745

8 months and 2 days. Mrs. Beeson was a sister to Robert and Isaac Skiles, and to Elizabeth, the wife


Page 745

Elizabeth Skiles, wife of Jesse Beeson, born March 16,


Page 745

Henry Beeson Rutter, born July 14, 1828, died December


Page 745

were children of Jesse and Elizabeth Skiles Beeson.


Page 749

called Great Bethel, purchased from Henry Beeson a lot at the head of Morgantown street for church purposes, of this


Page 760

Dry Goods.-Jacob Beeson, Empson Brownfield, Henry W. Beeson, Isaac Beeson, George Ebert, Henry and John Ebert, James Mc Kean, James


Page 760

Empson Brownfield, Henry Beeson, Isaac Beeson, George Ebert, Henry and John Ebert, James Mc Kean, James Boyle, Jacob Downer,


Page 763

Wesley Brown, W. B. Roberts, Henry R. Beeson, Peter Kremer, Albert Kremer, Stouffer and White.


Page 763

Hardware.-^Jonathan D. Springer, Daniel Smith, Edmund Beeson, David Baker, Henry White, Zed Springer.


Page 764

Henry Hawes, Billy Mc Guinn, Jesse Beeson, Adam Sembower, Isaac Skiles, William Swearingen, Joseph B. Moser, Jacob Mack, Daniel Swearingen,


Page 773

a mill race from the Henry Beeson saw mill on the banks of Redstone creek, crossing the pike above the


Page 780

the time of incorporation were: Isaac Beeson, John Dawson, Alfred Mc Clelland, Andrew Byers, William B. Roberts, James F. Cannon,


Page 783

recorded a deed made by Henry Beeson, the founder of the town, to the members of the Regular Baptist church,


Page 790

on a lot purchased from Jacob Beeson, and in July of the following year Bishop Asbury states that he preached


Page 793

on the lot donated by Jacob Beeson, the founder of the western part of the town, to the inhabitants of


Page 797

wife was the daughter of Isaac Beeson, then the leading merchant of the town. He resigned May


Page 828

out of town by Captain Richard Beeson with his company of Union Volunteers and by these conducted to the Walker


Page 829

of Westmoreland county and General Henry W. Beeson and several field officers rode in full uniform.


Page 842

from the pen of Mr. Richard Beeson, captain of the Union Volunteers, at the time of Lafayette's visit. He was


Page 842

was a brother of Mr. Isaac Beeson and Gen. Henry W. Beeson and was a member of the Fayette county


Page 842

Mr. Isaac Beeson and Gen. Henry W. Beeson and was a member of the Fayette county bar:


Page 852

as secretary. E. P. Oliphant, Isaac Beeson, James F. Canon, Thomas Foster and Hugh Campbell were appointed to prepare resolutions


Page 853

T. R. Davidson and Isaac Beeson.


Page 882

hereby constitute Ellis Baily and Isaac Beeson of Uniontown, executors of this my last will and testament, with the hope


Page 884

small parts and sold by Richard Beeson, Esq., as attorney for the heirs. Dr. Drown retraced his steps to Rhode


Page 890

The Uniontown Hospital-The Old Henry Beeson Mansion.


Page 895

Soon after Henry Beeson settled on the present site of Uniontown he coneluded to erect for himself


Page 895

The Old Henry Beeson Mansion.


Page 896

Henry Beeson was the father of thirteen children, seven sons and six daughters, Jesse, the


Page 896

Another son, Jacob, known as Jacob Beeson, merchant, was the founder of the famous Beeson store which was the leading


Page 896

From this mansion Mr. Beeson could witness the growth and prosperity of the new town he had founded


Page 897

Barton, after which her son, Jesse Beeson, the well remembered miller of the west end of town and who was


Page 897

the property of his son, Charles H. Beeson, and since his death has been owned by his heirs until June


Page 897

sold at administrator's sale and Isaac Beeson became the owner, the widow, however, still retaining her interest in the mansion.


Page 897

here his son, the late Henry R. Beeson, was born in 1830.


Page 899

now stands was sold by Henry Beeson to his brother Jacob, for one dollar per acre.


Page 900

modern, but the memory of Henry Beeson and the history of his old mansion must ever be preserved in the


Page 901

W. C. Mc Cormick, advertising, Harry Beeson, road races, O. J. Sturgis, program, Lewis Williams, fireworks. Amos M. Jolliffe was