Woburn Abbey Cemetery, Cuinchy, France, Now Available on Geneanet

Posted by Jean-Yves on Mar 22, 2022

Cuinchy remained during almost the whole of the war within range of German guns, and the cemeteries in the commune were made, so far as British troops are concerned, by fighting units and Field Ambulances. Woburn Abbey Cemetery was named from a house on the East side of it used as Battalion Headquarters and as a Dressing Station.

It was begun by the Royal Berkshire Regiment in June 1915 and closed in January 1916 on account of its exposed situation, but a few further burials were made as late as April 1918. There are now over 550, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly half are unidentified and special memorials are erected to three soldiers from the United Kingdom known or believed to be buried among them. (Source: Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

Click here to access this new collection (315 pictures)

Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up