Geneanet > Resources > Blog

Lebucquière Communal Cemetery Extension, Lebucquière, France, Now Available on Geneanet

Posted by Jean-Yves on Apr 25, 2021

Lebucquiere village was occupied by Commonwealth forces on 19 March 1917, following the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line. It was recaptured by the Germans on 23 March 1918, after fierce resistance by the 19th (Western) Division, and was finally reoccupied by the 5th Division on 3 September 1918.

The communal cemetery extension was begun on 24 March 1917 and was used by the 1st Australian Division and other units for almost a year. After the reoccupation of the village in September 1918, it was used again for a fortnight. At the Armistice, the cemetery contained 150 burials, but it was then greatly enlarged when graves were brought in from the surrounding battlefields. (Source: Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

Click here to access this new collection (503 pictures)

Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up