Flatiron Copse Cemetery, Mametz, France, Now Available on Geneanet

Posted by Jean-Yves on Aug 15, 2020

Flatiron Copse was the name given by the army to a small plantation a little to the east of Mametz Wood. The ground was taken by the 3rd and 7th Divisions on 14 July 1916 and an advanced dressing station was established at the copse.

The cemetery was begun later that month and it remained in use until April 1917. Two further burials were made in August 1918 and after the Armistice, more than 1,100 graves were brought in from the neighbouring battlefields and from smaller cemeteries (Source: Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

Click here to access this new collection (1,238 pictures)

Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up