Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe, France, Now Available on Geneanet

Posted by Jean-Yves on Mar 5, 2020
 

The cemetery was started in August 1915. In 1916 it was taken over by the 16th (Irish) Division, who held the Loos Salient at the time, and many of their dead were brought back to the cemetery from the front line. Succeeding divisions used the cemetery until October 1918, and men of the same Division, and often the same battalion, were buried side by side. After the Armistice, this cemetery was one of those used for the concentration of isolated graves from the Loos battlefield. The bodies of 41 men of the 9th Black Watch were brought from positions a little West of Loos, and those of 340 officers and men of other Regiments from different points in the communes of Cambrin, Auchy, Vermelles, Halluch and Loos. There are now 1,996 Commonwealth burials of the First World War in the cemetery, 277 of them unidentified. (Source: Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

 

Click here to access this new collection (1,722 pictures)

Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up