Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval, France, Now Available on Geneanet

Posted by Jean-Yves on Nov 25, 2019
 

Delville Wood was a tract of woodland, nearly 1 kilometre square, the western edge of which touched the village of Longueval in the Somme. On 14 July 1916, the greater part of Longueval village was taken by the 9th (Scottish) Division and on the 15th, the South African Brigade of that Division captured most of Delville Wood. The wood now formed a salient in the line, with Waterlot Farm and Mons Wood on the south flank still in German hands, and, owing to the height of the trees, no close artillery support was possible for defence. (Source: Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

Click here to access this new collection (1,301 pictures)

Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up