Combles Communal Cemetery Extension, Combles, France, Now Available on Geneanet

Posted by Jean-Yves on Nov 5, 2019
 

The village was entered in the early morning of the 26th August, 1916, by units of the 56th (London) Division and of the French Army; and it remained in Allied occupation until the 24th March, 1918, when the place was captured after a stubborn stand by the South African Brigade at Marrieres Wood. It was retaken on the 29th August, 1918, by the 18th Division. The village was later “adopted”, with Flers, by the County Borough of Portsmouth. The cemetery was begun in October, 1916 by French troops, but the 94 French graves made in 1916 have been removed to another cemetery. The first British burials took place in December, 1916. From March, 1917, to the end of May, 1918, the Extension was not used. (Source: Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

Click here to access this new collection (538 pictures)

Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up