Guards’ Cemetery, Combles, France, Now Available on Geneanet

Posted by Jean-Yves on Oct 25, 2019
 

Combles village was entered in the early morning of the 26th September, 1916, by units of the 56th (London) Division and the French Army; and it remained in Allied occupation until the 24th March, 1918, when the place was captured after a subborn stand by the South African Brigade at Marrieres Wood. It was retaken on the 29th August, 1918, by the 18th Division. The village was later “adopted”, with Flers, by the County Borough of Portsmouth. Guards’ Cemetery was begun by the Guards Division in September, 1916, and carried on by other units until March, 1917, and to a small extent in March, August and September, 1918. It contained at the Armistice 100 graves, of which 19 were those of officers and men of the Foot Guards. (Source: Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

Click here to access this new collection (173 pictures)

Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up