Sucrerie Cemetery, Ablain-Saint-Nazaire, France, Now Available on Geneanet

Posted by Jean-Yves on Feb 10, 2019
 

The village and the neighbourhood of Ablain-St. Nazaire were the scene of very severe fighting between the French and the Germans in May and June 1915. Sucrerie Cemetery is named from a sugar factory, which was destroyed in the War and has been replaced by a farm. It was begun in April 1917, next to a French Military Cemetery, now removed, of 1900 graves, and it was used until October 1918. It was called at one time Saskatchewan Cemetery, and, in accordance with the Canadian practice, it was numbered C.D. 43. The village was later “adopted” by the Urban District of Teddington. There are now nearly 400, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. (Source: CWGC)

Click here to access this new collection (384 pictures)

Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up