The Grim History Hidden Under a Baltimore Parking Lot

Posted by Jean-Yves on Feb 6, 2018
 

When Laurel Cemetery opened on the outskirts of Baltimore in 1852, its owners advertised a beautiful, peaceful spot, with “high and undulating” grounds, a public chapel, and tree-lined walks. The site had already been used for years for the burial of black servants of wealthier white people. But as the city’s first nonsectarian graveyard for black residents, Laurel Cemetery was supposed to become a place where the luminaries of Baltimore’s black community could be remembered forever.

“All who procure burials here are sure of an undisturbed resting place for all time to come,” an 1858 ad promised.

Source & Full Story

Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up