Long Family DNA

Discussions regarding DNA & Genetic Genealogy.
karennagle
female

Re: Long Family DNA

Post by karennagle »

Hi THere,

I have heard something about this a couple of years ago, while researching my Dad's maternal side of the family (Maisey). But, I never did learn too much about it. Can you share some information about it, (eg. what is it and how is the test performed? What information can be learned from it and how is this information derived? etc.) I would be interested to know more about it.

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Karen Nagle
padraig
padraig
Entry mode: Text
Browsing: Text
View their family tree

Post by padraig »

Hi to all,
Just joined this goup.
I have had my Y-DNA (father to son) and mtDNA (mother to daughter) done, initially through the Genographic project then through FTDNA.
The latest haplogroup classification makes me a G2a3b or G2-P303.
What does this mean?
The G2-P303 haplogroup is thought to have entered Western Europe either through the Alans invasion and or in the later part of the Roman Empire when "foreign Legionnaires" were used such as the Sarmatians.
The frequency of this haplogroup in Europe is relatively low (
s9359338
male
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Graphic
View their family tree

Post by s9359338 »

I have tried to contact Geneanet to suggest to them that they add an * to names that have a dna group for that name and variant spellings. They seem to be totally computer operated and have no contact information.
That bit of information would be quite useful. My dna group is Sevier and my name is Severs. They are few in numbers but HUGE in variant spellings (S*V*R* will get many of the variants on some programs that allow an * or "wild card" search).
Getting a dna test is worthless if there are no others in the group that have been tested.
The tests have been done for Sevier, Severs, Seaver, and Sievers with matches in each spelling. No tests have been done on anyone of any of the spellings in Europe. It would be nice to have a way to tell those in Europe of those spellings that a dna group exists and that woudl increase their odds of a match ..Charles Severs ([email protected])
s9359338
male
View their family tree

Post by s9359338 »

I have tried to contact Geneanet to suggest to them that they add an * to names that have a dna group for that name and variant spellings. They seem to be totally computer operated and have no contact information.
That bit of information would be quite useful. My dna group is Sevier and my name is Severs. They are few in numbers but HUGE in variant spellings (S*V*R* will get many of the variants on some programs that allow an * or "wild card" search).
Getting a dna test is worthless if there are no others in the group that have been tested.
The tests have been done for Sevier, Severs, Seaver, and Sievers with matches in each spelling. No tests have been done on anyone of any of the spellings in Europe. It would be nice to have a way to tell those in Europe of those spellings that a dna group exists and that woudl increase their odds of a match ..Charles Severs ([email protected])
jackmorter
male
View their family tree
Recently I requested from Ancestry.com a DNA kit and upon arrival provided the mouth swab .I am awaiting the results., but where can I go to compare my results with others?

[email protected]
padraig
padraig
View their family tree

Post by padraig »

you can "export" your DNA result to http://www.ysearch.org/ , just follow the instructions on the welcome page.
Good hunting!
wlholman
male
I have used FTDNA and have not found a match in FTDNA database or any of their partner databases. I manually entered my data into Ancestry.com DNA and found a relative in the USA that showed we had a common ancestor at 8 generations back. We checked our records and it proved to be true. One success story, although my main focus is locating the German origin of my immigrant ancestor Conrad Holman who came to Charleston, SC in 1750.

Using YDNA and locating a descendant of Elmer B Hallman who wrote "Early Carolina Heilmans, (Hallmans-Holmans), 1736-1800," in 1972, we have proved that the lineage of Andrew Hallman are not related to Conrad Holman as suggested in the book. A puzzle of some 90 years now solved.

Any way that data in GeneaNet can be flagged that DNA is available would be helpful. Any help on my looking for Conrad Holman [Halman, Hollman] would be appreciated.

Larry Holman
Vicksburg, MS
wlholman
male

Re : Long Family DNA

Post by wlholman »

Dave,

Go to Ancestry.com and then to DNA tab at top. You must be able to login on Ancestry.com. I copied the step from Ancestry.com below.

Entering DNA test results manually on DNA Ancestry -

If your DNA was tested by another company other than Relative Genetics (the laboratory for DNA Ancestry), Ancestry will support your DNA results after you have entered them in manually. While other companies may not test the exact same markers, you can add your results and compare them with others in the DNA Ancestry database.

Go to DNA Ancestry by selecting the DNA tab above or click here
On the DNA Ancestry home page select the Y results or mtDNA results links
Select the appropriate option that best fits your DNA test results on the transfer of your DNA results page
Note: The DNA Ancestry transfer of your DNA results page will not appear unless you are logged in. If you do not have an DNA Ancestry account you will need to create one.

Enter your DNA test HAPLOGROUP and Marker Values. Then click 'submit'

Hope this helps if not contact me at klholman AT bellsouth.net

Larry Holman
glemmens1940
glemmens1940
View their family tree
Hello,

Last year a group of 410 Dutch people had their DNA tested (this year another lot of about 400 Dutch people had theirs tested) and the findings were published in a book "Sons of Adam" ! In a week or so the second book will be pubished about the latest group. You can find the information on :
www.barjesteh.nl
I find it extremely interesting research , which showed that my family has the J2 Haplogroup which only 4% of the Dutch population seem to have and because the place of origine is near Nijmegen, the oldest Roman city in the Netherlands and because of the Haplogroup J2 they think that we are one of the oldest Roman families.
Hence I think that every genealogist should have their DNA tested !

Good luck with you Long research and sincere regards from a snow covered England,
Gerard Lemmens
jackmorter
male
View their family tree

Post by jackmorter »

I agree
jwj424
jwj424
View their family tree

Post by jwj424 »

Geneanet does have live people working for them.
langolier
male
View their family tree
I wouldn't invest too much time or effort into 'uploading' your results to Ancestry DNA.  I've been administrator of the Berry Family DNA Project for seven years and the Ancestry database is just much to cumbersome to work with.  We're an 'open' project for the Berry surname and maintain our own website so that we can take results wherever tested.

Someone suggested YSearch and that is a good suggestion.  With your results in YSearch you'll have the opportunity to find matches among the many thousands there.

jim berry
--
Searching BERRY HESSE WALL GEORGE KING STACY VOSSICK FORSTER SCOTT KIRKLAND et al
http://www.langolier.net

Graveyards & Gravestones
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~langolier/cemeteries.html

Berry Bibles Project
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~langolier/Berry_Bibles.html

Berry Family DNA Project
http://tinyurl.com/b9ofz

Berry Family DNA blog
http://berrydna.blogspot.com/
glemmens1940
glemmens1940
View their family tree
I agree, I have found ancestry.com very difficult to work with as their information seem to me very muddled and therefore very expensive. I find it also irritating that having uploaded my two (mine and my wife's) family trees, it then seems difficult when you stop paying them to access your work on their web site and the additional information they claim to have but which is not accessable.

if you research Dutch families it is much easier as they have mostly their own web sites (easily to find on - www.google.nl) and you do not have to pay a penny !! Geneanet is fantastic and not expensive for a Privelege Membership !!!

Good hunting,

Gerard Lemmens
bledjan
bledjan
View their family tree
Je ne dois pas être au bon endroit, mais je lance quand même un S O S . Je ne peux plus accéder à Généanet en Français, même ma dernière alerte n'était pas en
français. Qu'est ce qui se passe pouvez vous m'aider? Ne me répondez pas sur le forum puisque je ne peux pas le lire.
Voici mon e-mail  [email protected]  Bien cordialement.  Janine Parein
jyb
jyb
Administrator
View their family tree

Post by jyb »

Vous devez juste cliquer sur le petit drapeau français en haut à droite de l'écran. Si cela ne suffit pas, effacez les cookies et historique de votre navigateur web pour corriger le problème.
Best wishes,

Jean-Yves BAXTER
GeneaNet

Please read our help pages and tips to improve your genealogy research and to grow your family tree:

- https://en.geneanet.org/help/
- https://en.geneanet.org/genealogyblog/category/geneanet_tips

Return to “DNA - Genetic Genealogy”