Geneweb

If you are having difficulty using your genealogy software then post your question here.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Text
View their family tree

Re: Geneweb

Post by ericdubois »

Hi Cherie,

Geneanet and Geneweb are 2 different things. Geneweb is the software that runs behind the scene on Geneanet's website. But Geneanet has done a lot of work on top of that software, in particular in the way the information is displayed. All that work is not available in the Geneweb app, which has a rather raw appearance.

I have not installed Geneweb locally, but I think you can just go through History in your browser to pick up where you left off. You may want to save that URL in your Favorites for easy access. You might have to restart the server if you shut down your Mac, in that case, it's gwd.

Eric
cherie
female
Entry mode: Text
View their family tree

Post by cherie »

Thank you Erik,

Yes I know Geneweb is the software. I used to use it on my computer. With the sale of Geneanet to Ancestry, I really wanted to start using Geneweb again on my computer. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a version available anymore. :-(

Cherie

ericdubois wrote: 15 December 2021, 18:16 Hi Cherie,

Geneanet and Geneweb are 2 different things. Geneweb is the software that runs behind the scene on Geneanet's website. But Geneanet has done a lot of work on top of that software, in particular in the way the information is displayed. All that work is not available in the Geneweb app, which has a rather raw appearance.

I have not installed Geneweb locally, but I think you can just go through History in your browser to pick up where you left off. You may want to save that URL in your Favorites for easy access. You might have to restart the server if you shut down your Mac, in that case, it's gwd.

Eric
Hi from Costa Rica! I used to run Geneweb on my computer and then upload updated versions of my ancestry to Geneanet for safe keeping. The look and feel of Geneweb was almost identical to Geneanet. In fact it was Geneweb people who steered me to Geneanet. I ran into trouble installing Geneweb on a new computer and just started using Geneanet for everything. I'm now wanting to make sure I have a Geneweb version working on my computer, since Ancestry bought out Geneanet.
cherie
female
Entry mode: Text
View their family tree

Post by cherie »

Hi from Spain. I did the same thing you did. There now is no Geneweb software available to run on our computers. :(

Return to “Other Software”