A five-digit phone number is the only clue

If you look for old pictures or need help identifying old pictures then post your question here.
altieri601
male
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Graphic
View their family tree
Good morning everyone,
Here he is: my paternal gradfather Ernesto Altieri in his signage store. He is my mystery man: this picture is the only evidence of his existence and despite my best efforts, I have not been able to find virtually anything on him on database searches, Antenati portals, etc. Based on clothing and hair styles, the image seems to be around early 1920s (my father Gaetano was born in 1923 in Milano, Italy, and at some point Ernesto was married to Maria Stella -Ida- Fellini). Although the signs are in Italian, it could be anywhere. There is a five-digit phone number but that search also produced no results (at least for me).

Any help or clue would be greatly appreciated and thank you everyone for considering.
Dario

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArGVsdYMlqm9gewOg1btHvLYrx4eCQ?e=V0JIC6
(the image is also attached)
Attachments
Ernesto Altieri.jpg
edwardn
edwardn
Browsing: Text
View their family tree
I don't know if this is of any help.
Found one Ernesto Alt/Altieri on Geneanet, born July, 13th 1902.

Ernesto Altieri

Edward
altieri601
male
View their family tree
Thank you so much, Edward. I truly appreciate it and will look into it. The dates may not fit: family folklore suggests that Ernesto fought in WWI and a 1902 birth date would make him too young for that. But i am very grateful for your time and consideration.
Best
Dario
vhermann1
female
Entry mode: Text
View their family tree
Do you have your father, Gaetano's actual Italian birth record? It will give you an approximate age of the father, Ernesto, at the time of the birth as well as where he was domiciled. You can then try and work backwards with the marriage records-again presuming Milan, which should give Ernesto's parents names and where they were domiciled. That can lead you back to Ernesto's birth record, possibly.

If you haven't already looked through them, here are the civil records for Milano. Hopefully it was not some outlying town, that is why Gaetano's actual birth record could come in handy.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1047610?availability=Family%20History%20Library Look for Atti di Nascita for the year you want. You can also try the Allegati (Nati) which often has supporting documentation about the birth that may provide more information. I noticed that some provide addresses of the parents.

1923 Atti di Nascita/Birth records start at image 1478 Film# 007851542 (Continuing to 007851543 and 007851544 last image 1516). Unfortunately there does not seem to be Indices or annual indexes. Since you should know Gaetano's month and day, it should make it easier to find the birth record. Since Milano is so large there will be multiple books for the same months depending on registry office.

Based off Ernesto's ago on Gaetano's birth record you can estimate when he may have gotten married and start scrolling through those records. Allegati for Marriages often have copies of the couple's baptismal records, so that can get you back further.

I hope that I am not telling you anything that you do not already know and have tried. Good luck
altieri601
male
View their family tree
Dear Vhermann1,
I cannot be more grateful for your input. It took me a very long time and i am sorry with the delay with which i am responding, but it was not immediately obvious to sort through the information. And finally, for the first time, i found Gaetano's birth record in the "allegati" for 1923. It turns out that in fact Ernesto and Maria Stella were in fact married (i had doubted that), that Ernesto was 35 years old at that time, placing his birthday in 1888 and that a witness to the process was Armando with the same last name, either a borther or a cousin with a birthday in 1889.
Again, thank you immensely. Much work remains to be done, but this is the first time i have some hard facts about my 'mystery man'.
DCA
vhermann1
female
Entry mode: Text
View their family tree
You are more than welcome Dario. Sorry about MY late reply; family matters have kept me off the forum. I am glad that it was of help. I enjoy the opportunity to pay it forward.

Cheers,
Vela

Return to “Old Pictures”