Grandmother search

Discussions regarding DNA & Genetic Genealogy.
wallycassell
male
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Graphic
View their family tree

Grandmother search

Post by wallycassell »

Hi,

I have done Ancestry DNA (about 2015)., and 23&me DNA (about 2017)/ I have uploaded both data sets to Geneanet and other sites.

I have discovered my paternal grandfather's family in a lot of detail, much of this was outside of DNA analysis..

I have NOT discovered anything specific on my paternal grandmother's family. I only know that she met and married my grandfather in the upper mid-west USA, was born in 1890. She died in 1917 at age 27, from a cancer. Any record or notice of her shows, only her married name. She either was born in USA of Finn lineage parents, or emigrated to USA from Finland sometime before 1910. Their first son was born in USA in 1911.

My own father is passed as of 1997.

For my grandmother, I have only her first name, and married last name. I do not have her maiden name, place of birth, or date of birth - just the year 1890.

My lineage shows me to be 50% Finn, which matches my father's life. For certain his father was born in Finland, from a long line of Finn heritage. He was not yet 2 years old when his mother died, and he knew only her first and married name, nothing else about her. He was raised in an orphanage environment, so was not in contact with his father - my grandfather. His father died in 1944.

Since my lineage shows 50% Finn, my paternal grandmother must be of Finn lineage also. Both of my grandparents on my mother's side are not in any way of Finn lineage.

My question ...
In Geneanet (or perhaps other systems), is there any possibility to filter for only relations who can be on my grandmother's line? Or to exclude any of my grandfather's line. Is so, then I can concentrate my research to better focus on my grandmother.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Wally Kuusela-Cassell
email [email protected]

Return to “DNA - Genetic Genealogy”