Loading tree but excluding Events and Notes

Ask for help on any topic related to the Geneanet website. Report a bug. Make a suggestion.
alanwhytock
alanwhytock
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Graphic
View their family tree
Having recently uploaded my tree I note that all "Events and Notes" are registered from my GEDCOM. I cannot find any means of deleting them from my Geneanet tree. Any help gratefully received.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Browsing: Text
View their family tree
I don't know of any way of bulk erasing on Geneanet. I suggest you do a new GEDCOM export omitting the data you want to exclude and re-upload it with the "replace data" option. Depending on where the GEDCOM is exported from, you may have different options available. In the worst case, you'll have to edit the GEDCOM file in a text editor.

Eric
alanwhytock
alanwhytock
View their family tree
Thank you Eric. Unfortunately having spoken to the FamilyTreeMaker guys it would appear there is no way at present to produce a GEDCOM without notes. They are looking into introducing this feature. However, the only means at present is to manually check and edit every name on my tree, all 23,000 of them, which is impossible. To give an example for my great grandfather I have 11 pages of notes. So it is with regret I have withdrawn my tree from Geneanet.
zanzigirl
zanzigirl
Volunteer moderator
Hello,

Another option would be to make these notes private:

https://my.geneanet.org/arbre/acces/?lang=en&view=options

Best,
Claudine
Modératrice bénévole sans lien de subordination avec Geneanet / Volunteer moderator with no subordination to Geneanet.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
View their family tree
If Claudine's solution isn't satisfying, try editing the GEDCOM in a text editor. In my GEDCOM, all notes are at the end of the file and can be easily removed. Or better yet, use an editor that support pattern recognition (Grep) to remove content you don't want.

Here is an example family in my GEDCOM. Each line beginning with "1 NOTE" refers to a note

Code: Select all

0 @40070132@ FAM
1 MARR
2 DATE 26 NOV 1729
2 PLAC Asquillies,Hainaut,,Belgique
3 MAP
4 LONG E3.958056
4 LATI N50.401667
2 _COR
3 _LAD 50
3 _LAM 24
3 _LAS 6
3 _LOD 3
3 _LOM 57
3 _LOS 29
2 CHAN
3 DATE 25 MAY 2016
4 TIME 08:48:18
2 _CRE
3 DATE 07 MAY 2013
4 TIME 15:44:29
1 HUSB @66689368@
1 WIFE @48196474@
1 CHIL @70878156@
1 CHIL @79602638@
1 NOTE @99870875@
1 NOTE @73067658@
1 CHAN
2 DATE 25 MAY 2016
3 TIME 08:48:18
1 _CRE
2 DATE 07 MAY 2013
3 TIME 15:42:09
Here is one of those notes:

Code: Select all

0 @73067658@ NOTE
1 CONT
1 CONT Date :	26.11.1729
1 CONT Année :	1729
1 CONT Numéro de page :	40
1 CONT Nom époux :	Corné
1 CONT Prénoms époux :	Gille Joseph
1 CONT Nom père époux :	Jean Joseph
1 CONT Nom mère époux :	Moreau
1 CONT Prénoms mère époux :	Anne Marie
1 CONT Nom épouse :	Demor
1 CONT Prénoms épouse :	Marie Louise
1 CONT Nom père épouse :	Jacques
1 CONT Nom mère épouse :	Marchand
1 CONT Nom mère épouse :	Marie Jeanne
1 CONT Cote / Source :	1710-1760
1 CHAN
2 DATE 22 JUN 2019
3 TIME 19:53:18
1 _CRE
2 DATE 24 MAR 2018
3 TIME 23:08:47
You could delete all lines that start with "1 CONT" to simply empty the notes' content.
You could also delete all lines beginning with "1 NOTE", which would break the link between the individual/family/event and the note. I assume the note would then be ignored by Geneanet on import.

With 23000 individuals, you don't want to do this manually. A program like BBEdit with pattern recognition will do it in a cinch.

Eric
alanwhytock
alanwhytock
View their family tree
Thanks Claudine & Eric. But as I mentioned earlier FTM suggested manually editing the notes ie privatising them, but for 23,000 names that is impossible. I like Eric's idea but as a complete non computer literate fellow I am unable to follow that line. Perhaps when this beastly lockdown is over I might find someone to have a look at your idea. BBEdit is for Apple programmes but there are others for Windows.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
View their family tree
Claudine's suggestion does not require any computer knowledge. It's just a selection in the tree parameters on Geneanet. It would not remove the notes, but hide them from visitors. You can preview how visitors see your tree by switching Access Rights to Visitor at the bottom of the page (remember to switch it back to Admin to be able to edit the tree).

My suggestion would completely remove the notes, but you'd need someone more familiar with FTM and Windows to give you more specific steps to follow. I just gave you general guidelines.

Eric
alanwhytock
alanwhytock
View their family tree
Thank you so much - it worked. When I update my tree, perhaps monthly, is it necessary to renew all my requirements ?
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
View their family tree
If you followed Claudine's suggestion, you won't have to do anything when you update your tree. The setting will be remembered. But it won't take long for you to check and confirm after your next upload.

Return to “Geneanet Help & Support”