Mathurin Charles Leon LAINE

delainefamily
female
Searching for any shipping lists / passengers / crews, containing my Great gr grandfather Mathurin Charles Leon LAINE, leaving France from 1836-1843. He was in South Australia by 1843 but how he came here is unknown. Any other information regarding his life or family in Brehand, France would be wonderful. He was born in 1818 Etretat, and lived in Moncontour. His mother, Berenice Laine (daughter of Mathurin Lesne 1757), married Aza Bullard Casper in 1828 and had more children, but have no further information on Casper. He may have been a sea captain. I have received some great family tree information dating back to the 1500's from David, Roland and Jean on Geneanet re Mathurin. His Birth Certificate surname is LAINE, with ancestors of LESNE. However, he signed his marriage certificate with surname of De Laine. Some theories are that he may have been educated in USA or Canada, but I know of no facts connected to this.
S. Mills. Adelaide, South Australia.

crasy003
female
Hi S. Mills!

My name is Sara, and I am also a descendant of MCL DeLaine (he is my GGG Grandfather, a decedent of his 10th child, Arthur); and I am trying to trace him back too. The information you have is great, it's more than I know myself from my Grandma, and the DeLaine Family History Book (which we inherited after she died in 2009). I have hit a brick wall too when trying to establish MCL's French decedents, but I am studying at Flinders to be an Historical Archaeologist, so am taking any opportunities and tips to find new leads. I am going to some archive/family history search courses during May (History Month), and am planning to ask someone I know, who speaks French, to help me access the Le Havre Seine-Maritime archives. I will let you know if I can come up with any updates!

I would love to be able to add/update the DeLaine family book, as we have at least 9 new GGGG Grandchildren to add to the list since it was published in 2008!

Sorry I can't add anything new, but I thought you might be interested that my family is also looking for information on MCL!

Sara. :) :)

Return to “Emigration – Ship Lists ”