YDNA and DNA

Discussions regarding DNA & Genetic Genealogy.
williamsmith16
male

Re: DnA testing

Post by williamsmith16 »

Hii,

I want to ask a question, Which DNA testing company do you recommend for a paternity test and what does it cost?

William Smith
williamsmith16
male

YDNA and DNA

Post by williamsmith16 »

Hii,

I want to ask a question, What are the benefits of purchasing the MyFamilyTree Y-chromosome DNA testing kit?

William Smith
robjaco
male

Re: YDNA AND MTNA DNA

Post by robjaco »

The MyFamilyTree.com web site is defunct, quite old, no tools or DNA tests, sells web domains. Perhaps you meant a different company?
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Text
View their family tree

Re: YDNA and DNA

Post by ericdubois »

Hi,

I separated your messages from the threads they were attached to.

I assume you're referring to FamilyTreeDNA's Y-DNA testing. Those tests are designed to identify your haplogroup, which is transmitted along the paternal line. Those haplogroups can date thousands of years and are not a good indicator of paternity. If a father has a different haplogroup than his son, it means that he is not the biological father. If they have the same haplogroup, it means very little.

Autosomal tests are better, as a child inherits 50% of the DNA of each parent. So it's very clear in the results. Any of the main companies can perform those tests. There may be legal/ethical issues as each person has to consent to a DNA test.

Eric

Return to “DNA - Genetic Genealogy”