Errors in the names on my family tree

Ask for help on any topic related to the Geneanet website. Report a bug. Make a suggestion.
zanzigirl
zanzigirl
Volunteer moderator
Hello,

Please log in before posting ;)

Best,
Claudine
Modératrice bénévole sans lien de subordination avec Geneanet / Volunteer moderator with no subordination to Geneanet.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Text
View their family tree
Hi Véronique,

Are you referring to "your" family tree or someone else's family tree where your family appears? In that case, contact the owner of the tree after registering/signing in.

Sincerely,
Eric
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
View their family tree
At the bottom of the page, there is a box about the tree's author. Simply click the "Contact" button, then "Send a message". Explain the errors and, if possible, give sources for to justify your information is correct.

The author is under no obligation to correct the errors and Geneanet does not interfere with a user's content (unless it concerns living people who requested their personal information to be removed). But most users welcome new information.

Regards,

Eric
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
View their family tree
spaneurofor wrote: 04 September 2020, 15:06 I can see the wrong data displayed in the family tree where I cannot see who the owner of the family tree is
Some pages don't display the author's name. In that case, visit that tree's "home page" by clicking the home icon in the top banner. The username is also right after "geneanet.org/" in the URL.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
View their family tree
spaneurofor wrote: 04 September 2020, 15:17 Many thanks Eric.

I sent a message to the person who I believed is the "owner" of "my" family tree. Awaiting his reply.

What happens if this person does not answer or , hopefully not, refuses to do any changes

Can I correct, or add new data somehow ?
This is "his" or "her" family tree, not yours. You cannot edit it unless the author gives you editing access (which is extremely unlikely). If you want ensure correct information is out there, you have to publish "your" tree on your account.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
View their family tree
Hi Span,

The way I use Geneanet is that there is only one tree that matters to me: mine, which contains mostly information I verified personally (except for some info copied blindly when I was starting, or copied from a reliable tree).

The other trees are just leads. If another user's tree contains information I don't have, I will look through records to confirm that information is valid before copying it to my tree. If I find an error on someone else's tree and the tree is generally well maintained, I may notify the owner of the error. But most of the time I simply ignore it.

There is an option to connect to another tree's branch. But in that case, the branch's owner stays in complete control of this branch and all you have in your tree is a link to that branch.

As far as Google is concerned, all trees have the same validity. The ways of Google are mysterious and no one outside of Google knows how their algorithm works. But once your tree is indexed by search engines, it's just as likely to appear in search results as the other guy's.

I hope this answers your questions.

Eric

Return to “Geneanet Help & Support”