FREE membership just not worth the hassle of joining

goodrumwill6
goodrumwill6
Perhaps they could have paid advertisers on here so that at least a little bit of the site can be enjoyed by the free members as well? I'm not sure what all is available here through paid membership, but maybe one type of item could be changed so that everyone can access them? Or maybe just a portion of the items at the very least? As far as I can see, the forums are the only things accessable to free members.

yeatesh
male
Totally agree. Never seen such bait and switch before.. barest outlines made available for free.. just to ensure subscribers ante up and pay fully. What’s left for free, is crap. =This site is another dead end genealogical waste of time. Terrible.

karex
karex
Family Tree: Non-graphic
View their family tree
Background: I am an American genealogist. I have been living in Europe for nearly 20 years.

I have been a Geneanet member for over a decade. Sometimes Premium, sometimes not - depending on the focus of my research at the time. I have been following this thread with interest. With my background and experience, my first impression is that gripes in this thread have probably been posted by North American users with little-to-no knowledge about how things work in Europe, much less in France.

It is not my intention to rebuke anything. However what I can do is relate my personal experience with Geneanet (about a decade) and learning curve concerning European Union practices and laws (nearly 20 years).

In the European Union, (in general terms), the published results of your work are automatically classified as Intellectual Property. This means that no member of the European Union is required to officially apply for a Copyright in order to be protected by its terms. This is immensely important because a vast majority of amateur researchers do not posses the cash to fund an official Copyright submission and registry.

As in many places, laws are somewhat vague and are often subjected to interpretation. EU laws are no different. However one of the places in the EU where this law is treated in the strictest interpretation is France. This is also where Geneanet is based.

In a nutshell: Geneanet is a service which allows anyone to publish their research online TOTALLY cost-free. Unlike other services "out there", and based on EU laws - and the STRICT French interpretation of said laws - ALL data submitted by its users/members are TOTALLY free to access by ANYONE, who do not have to pay a subscription to be able to access. This includes documents, images, etc. submitted by users/members. The reason for this is simple: the data submitted by users/members DOES NOT legally belong to Geneanet, it belongs to the users/members who submitted it. Geneanet CANNOT (by EU Law and the French interpretation of EU law) profit from anything that does not belong to them. Summary: data submitted by users/members DO NOT belong to Geneanet, and therefore cannot be used for profit in any way, shape or form. Failure to meet these requirements mandated by EU and French laws laws are subject to heavy sanctions.

What Genenanet CAN and DOES charge for in their premium "Privilege" service is advanced functions and data they have themselves expended money or otherwise dished out funds for through access to premium third party paid services, labor, etc.

In a nutshell: access to what Geneanet does not own and/or has not financed (user data), is not charged. What Geneanet had to "dish out" to fund IS charged.

Simple.

The gripes in this string seem to be focused on not being able to access data with through a free account which the provider (Geneanet) had to invest to obtain.

INHO, the investor (Geneanet) has every right to require paid access to collections or advance features they invested heavily on in order to be able to make these available to others.

karex
karex
View their family tree
It is for the reasons outlined in my previous comment that I chose Geneanet to publish my online genealogy :
1) My research is my personal work and considered my intellectual property and as such cannot be exploited by any 3rd party, especially not for profit.
2) My family and related researchers can have access to my work without having to pay a subscription or dish out any funds whatsoever.
3) Just like I hold dear the value of my own work and/or investment or expenses incurred to be able to perform my research, so do I respect the same in the legitimate efforts of others (i.e. Geneanet).
4) Other top-ranked FREE services either do not offer the same level of services or do not offer the same legal protection for my work.
5) Other top-ranked FREE services do not offer a guarantee that they will NEVER "sell out" to other for-profit services which will exploit data freely supplied by researchers who have not consented to being exploited. (Find-a-Grave is a prime example, and the main reason that I do not trust Wiki Tree and other similar services from selling-out because they have not published any legal guarantee stating otherwise - I have for this reason stopped volunteering the results of my work to ANY of these services).

Karen

kdaymayday
kdaymayday
Tell me a few Pros of using Geneanet
I know you have the largest database of Graves - how many now?
You support 9 languages

What else are you proud of?

Karen S Meyer,
Area Temple and Family History Consultant - Scottsdale, AZ
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
naswfamilyhistory.blogspot.com

karex
karex
View their family tree
kdaymayday wrote:
15 September 2018, 01:05
Tell me a few Pros of using Geneanet
I know you have the largest database of Graves - how many now?
You support 9 languages

What else are you proud of?

Karen S Meyer,
Area Temple and Family History Consultant - Scottsdale, AZ
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
naswfamilyhistory.blogspot.com
Hi Karen,
I'm a subscriber like you so unfortunately I can't help you with your questions. Someone at the Geneanet staff is much more qualified.
Might I suggest that you use the "Contact Us" feature to send your inquiry? Another option (since I see that you are a Premium member), is to use the "support" feature and open a ticket. I'm confident that you will receive prompt attention.

Kind Regards,
Karen Nichols-Rexwall

tombens
male
Geneanet is tied up red tape you can't do any thing with it or get nothing out of it its just one big hassle and the costly subscription

deanhobart
male
I can't believe people are complaining about an ANNUAL fee of $50. That is substantially lower than pretty much any genealogy site with access to docs and historical book scans. That is less than $1.00 per week. Maybe the price was reduced from the original comments.

jbeharhilsenrad
female
Family Tree: Graphic
View their family tree
I have 2 questions that I hope you can answer; 1).What does your Tree-Interface look like? I'm dissatisfied with the interface on most sites as one has to either click to a different/new screen or drag a screen a long ways in order to see part of a branch generation. 2). I am looking for a site that understands & will reflect endogamy, as there are many cousins that married cousins in my history.

For example, when adding a known blood-relation, when I add their spouse, who is also a blood-relative to me, they only appear as a spouse in the relationship detail, not ALSO as a blood cousin. Therefore, I have to duplicate thmany profiles, started at the top to show consanguinity (relatedness). HOW does your site take this into account as it seems to say, & again, can you kindly show me a sample of the Geneanet Tree interface. I am interested in becoming a paid subscriber. Are there different membership levels? I am not interested at all in Genestar.

jyb
jyb
Administrator
View their family tree
On Geneanet, yYou can add blood related spouses but we suggest that you make some tries to see if our interface fits your needs.

Please go to https://en.geneanet.org/create-your-family-tree/ to start your family tree

With a free membership, you can create a family tree with an unlimited number of individuals, and you can search the database of collaborative family trees.

With a Premium membership, you have access to advanced search options, to our collections of indexes, to our genealoy library, and much more.
Best wishes,

Jean-Yves BAXTER
GeneaNet

Please read our help pages and tips to improve your genealogy research and to grow your family tree:

- https://en.geneanet.org/help/
- https://en.geneanet.org/genealogyblog/category/geneanet_tips

hermash
female
Well, I'm disappointed. I tried searching for a few relatives, but all the results are only viewable to premium members only. I wasted my time signing up this morning. I'll stick to familysearch. Even FindMyPast search results without a subscription show you something useful.

femuse
femuse
hermash wrote:
05 June 2019, 01:09
I wasted my time signing up this morning.
you did not waste money.

Do like I do:

I don't have any use for the $ data, but you can use the [free] Forum and get help from members.

I would advise you to post on the French language side of the forum.
Many members are ready to help you.

Unregistered user (sussams)
I joined Geneanet begining of October as a free member made a family tree and a person had a family tree on the website contacted and it turned out we were 3rd cusions. I thought this is good, decided to pay a 3 month premium, well kept searching and all the results I got was "sorry no results shown". Contacted Ggeanet and they told me to look at the help pages which I did. Well this went on for about 2 weeks and asked for a refund. But in the terms and conditions they cannot give refunds, so read the terms and conditions,
well today 27/10 I told them I wanted to delete my account, three times they asked if I realised I would not get a refund. three times i said yes. Think carefully before joining. I would not even give them 1 star. Patricia Pichler , on the forum there are quite a few people like myself.

jyb
jyb
Administrator
View their family tree
@sussams: I have helped you very much. I have answered so many email messages, Ticket Contact and forum messages from you.

I have asked the technicians to delete your account and I'll come back to you when done.

As I already told you, you're not our only one member so please wait for the answer. We answer every and each of the questions posted by our members.
Best wishes,

Jean-Yves BAXTER
GeneaNet

Please read our help pages and tips to improve your genealogy research and to grow your family tree:

- https://en.geneanet.org/help/
- https://en.geneanet.org/genealogyblog/category/geneanet_tips

Return to “Geneanet Help & Support”