Translation Help?

shellbell
female
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Graphic
View their family tree

Re: Translation Help?

Post by shellbell »

I found Madeleine Marie Henri Remy baptism in Dol-de-Bretagne, Ille-et-Vilaine, Bretagne France. Her mums name was Perrine Thebault. She was baptised 27 Jun 1791, born 11 Mar 1790. I could never have done it without your help!
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Browsing: Text
View their family tree
shellbell wrote: 02 August 2020, 23:52 Claudine I noticed that about Fridefont in the baptism & was a bit confused as the page you linked to said the municipality of Sarrus took the name of Fridefont in 1909.
This is what is explained in the French Wikipedia article and the town's website. But the name Fridefont didn't come out of nowhere and was probably commonly used before 1909, then officially adopted when the 3 towns merged into one.
https://www.fridefont.fr/histoire-patrimoine-mairie-cantal_fr.html

As you said, French (and Belgian) records post-revolution are very complete. We can thank Napoleon for that. I am frustrated in my US research by how little information is recorded. Glad we could help.

You should be able to find another generation or two through the church records. With no indexes, you'll need to read through all the records or join a local association. This one seems to have indexed most Cantal records: https://www.bms.aprogemere-bd.fr
shellbell
female
Browsing: Graphic
View their family tree

Post by shellbell »

Thank you both so much. I'll start digging. Your helpful info & pointers have broken through a brick wall that I'd struggled with for some time.
zanzigirl
zanzigirl
Volunteer moderator

Post by zanzigirl »

Hello,
ericdubois wrote: 03 August 2020, 02:12 French (and Belgian) records post-revolution are very complete. We can thank Napoleon for that.

Napoleon doesn't have anything to do with the civil records ;) : they were established by the Legislative Assembly in 1792 and the legistators imitated what the church had been doing previously.

Claudine
Modératrice bénévole sans lien de subordination avec Geneanet / Volunteer moderator with no subordination to Geneanet.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Browsing: Text
View their family tree
Thanks for correcting me. I mixed it up with the Napoleonic code, which still has a significant impact on civil rights in the areas that encompassed the empire. But it did not affect record-keeping which were already in place.

The post-revolution records follow the pattern of the Catholic church records, but are often more complete and more verification was done to ensure the information reported was correct.

Return to “France”