Translation help please...?

shellbell
female
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Graphic
View their family tree
I just posted this in the general forum and then realised I should probably have put it here instead.
Firstly, I apologise that although I have quite a lot of French ancestors, I do not speak French. I can manage to pick out the important bits usually but sometimes need a little help. So if anyone could help I’d be really grateful. Again. My 3rd great grandmother was Marie Louise Marchand. Born March 1837. I’ve found her birth certificate and if I’m right it looks like her mother was unmarried and a spinner? Can anyone translate for me or pick out any information, such as names, ages, addresses occupations etc. I can see at least another 2 names shown but am unsure whether these are related to the mother or no.

Thank you again for your help.

https://www.filae.com/v4/genealogie/SearchResults.mvc/ViewerOSDrFromIndivSheet?IsOnlyForPayingUser=True&StartPageIndex=0&NumberResults=7&FilaeDocId=e5c23db0-f057-4a59-aaac-7f55935f1b9e&IdPerson=1&FirstName=Marie%20Louise&LastName=Marchand&Source=Archives%20de%20la%20Somme&IsFree=False&Category1=0&BaseType=8&IsNewViewer=False&IsFromArchives=False
Attachments
1A8AF4D6-946E-4127-9E2D-ACCFC6058B06.jpeg
marielefebvre
female
View their family tree
ok so:

she was born ont the 20th march 1837.
She was the daughter of Miss Virginie Marchand, who was a spinner (no ages), she lived in Riencourt

the two others names are those of the witness. (no link with you grand-mother, except they were probably neighbours)

best regards
MZ

PS: if you need another help just ask :D
shellbell
female
View their family tree
Thank you for such a quick reply. I feared that may be the case, no fathers name or clues to help me move back a generation.
shellbell
female
View their family tree
Out of curiosity, was she born in Marguerite Billeux house or did she report birth? I try to make sense of the documents but it isn’t always easy to figure out the spelling of words in a language you’re not that great with.
marielefebvre
female
View their family tree
I don't think she was born in Marguerite Billeux house, that lady is probably a neighbor and may have been the midwife.
marielefebvre
female
View their family tree
Marie-louise wedding act:
Marchand wedding.pdf
(1018.62 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
shellbell
female
View their family tree
Thanks again marie
npoussineau
female
You wonder were she was born, and in fact this is written : he was born in Nicolas Boucher house.
shellbell
female
View their family tree
Thankyou. Does this suggest he was the father? Or would it have been common for an employer or landlord to be named on the birth certificate?
Any thoughts are appreciated
Michelle
npoussineau
female
I don't think so. Maybe the mother lives here, maybe the midwife. I would have said that if he were the father, he would have declare the birth himself.
I think that you should look at census. You can find them in french archives:
http://recherche.archives.somme.fr/ark:/58483/a011291151211nAOWef
You will learn who live in Nicolas Boucher house. I had a quick look, and find only one Nicolas Boucher in the village in 1836: 71 years old, widow. I found one family Marchand but no Virginie. You should check it.
Maybe then look at families in the village in 1851.
I hope you will find clues.
npoussineau
female
Did you know that a Joséphine Virginie Marchand is born in Riencourt on 15 ventôse 12 (ie 6/3/1804) ?
I think you should try to find what happen to her, because she could be the mother. In fact, the mother Virginie is indeed 71 years old at her daughter wedding.
shellbell
female
View their family tree
Thankyou so much. I did not know about the census at all so this is a great help. I’m looking now but am ashamed that my lack of French is quite a hindrance. I struggle with surnames and occupations as I need to figure out each letter to use google translate! I can see that there is a Marie Louise Marchand age 59 on page 6 of the census. It looks like she’s the wife of Blaise Pouche ( again sorry I’m having trouble reading the writing and don’t really know common French names so I may have got that name wrong). Am I right in thinking that French censuses list women by their maiden name not the married name? If so that explains the different name. And frankly is much more helpful than the British censuses which give married names so really don’t help us to track back very well.
Again Thankyou. I’m learning so much. And may just get back another generation with your help. It’s also given me hope that I may progress with some of the other French lines I have.
shellbell
female
View their family tree
One more question if I may...you say the mother Virginie is 71 at her daughters wedding. What wedding are you referring to? Have you found a marriage Record?
Again thankyou
npoussineau
female
You're right, there is a Marie Louise Marchand married to a Blaise Pouche on page 6. But it can't be yours because it is one year before her birth.
Usually official french records use maiden name. In this census this is the case. However, in some census, you can find married name for women.
On page 8, you have Nicolas Boucher. Profession is "manouvrier".

On one hand, we have Joséphine Virginie Marchand born in Riencourt 6/3/1804.

On the other hand, we have Virginie Marchand, spinner, who have a daughter Marie Louise in 1837 in Riencourt. Marie Louise Marchand married 16/8/1865 in Riencourt with Natalis Becourt, as found for you by marielefebvre. The wedding certificate says that the mother of the bride is Virginie Marchand, profession "domestique", 71 years old, living in Bovelles (p 119/191 of Riencourt certificates). By the way, we also learn that they have a child together Marie Lucine Caroline Marchand born 31/10/1862 in Abbeville. They legitimate their child so further reference to this girl will be with the name Marie Lucine Caroline Becourt.

The goal is to know if the two Virginie are one personne or not. First thing to find is a death certificate. Maybe in Bovelles, and after 1865. You know that we have "table décennale" which are records sorted by alphabetical order for a ten years period ?
shellbell
female
View their family tree
I'm so grateful for all the help. I hadn't found the marriage in 1865. I'll look that up too.

So let me go back a stage. My ancestor is Louis Malhomme born in Rue des Cochers, Amiens to Jean Pierre Mederic Malhomme age 41 & Marie Louise Marchand age 18, on the 10 Sept 1855. Parents were unmarried. All 3 are on the 1856 census in Amiens. So I am trying to trace Marie Louise Marchand. I've traced the father back to Reims for several generations. Though how & when he moved from Reims to Amiens I don't know. (Theres a lot about his sister Marie Gabrielle Felicite Malhomme on ancestry as she was tried at the Old Bailey in UK & sent to Australia for life).

If Marie Louise Marchand was 18 she would have been born around 1837. I found a Marie Louise born in Riencourt in 1837 to Virginie Marchand, so I've been trying to follow it up to see if the 2 connect up. Josephine Virginie Marchands mother, born in Riencourt in 1804, was Marie Louise Godin. Did Virginie name her daughter after her mother? ie Marie Louise. Or the Marie Louise Marchand on the 1836 census was 59, was she an aunt? Again same Christian names.

I've found a Marie Louise Marchand age 14 on the 1851 census in Riencourt. So right age for Virginies daughter or the Marie Louise Marchand I'm looking for. There is a Louis Marchand with her age 6, which confuses me. If this was Josephine Virginies illegitimate daughter, then there should not be a 6 year old with the same surname, as Josephine Virginie married in 1839. However if this is my Marie Louise Marchand & she had a brother Louis, she could have named my ancestor after her brother.

So there are lots of coincidences with names which suggest a connection. My brain is struggling to work it all out right now though.

I also wanted to look at the Amien census before 1856, to see if Jean Pierre Mederic Malhomme or Marie Louise Marchand are in Amien then. But I'm finding that difficult. In 1856 I found the family in the Nord Est et sud est archive. All I can find for 1851 is Drueil les Amiens. And in 1846 it arrondissment 1er, 2er, 3er, or 4er. Ive no idea which one to start with & there are hundreds of pages there.

Sorry for the long message, but you've been so helpful, I thought the least I could do was explain what I'm trying to find.

Once again thanks for reading & thanks for your help throughout.

Return to “France”