re: death record information in vermont

If you need help with your family history research then post your question here.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Text
View their family tree
Please use capitalization and paragraph breaks to make your request easier to read.

I'm not finding anything about this family in the US census. I would suggest researching siblings and even neighbors, as migrants often go where relatives or friends have migrated to.

St Albans is a main crossing point between Quebec and the US. Do you have records showing that the family settled there or simply crossed the border there?
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
View their family tree
I saw the information you have. I was just wondering about the sources for that info.

The US-Canadian border was much more porous then than it is now and it wasn't unusual for people to move from one side of the border to the other. Even in the 19th century, when migration reached a high point, many Canadians moved to New England for a few years then moved back. Some even worked in New England in the winter and farmed in Quebec for the summer. I even came across the death record of a young man who died in New Hampshire but was buried back home.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
View their family tree
My wife's family is similar to yours. Part Italian and part French-Canadian. With similar histories.

I have found the book A Distinct Alien Race very instructive regarding the Quebec to New England migrations.

Return to “Family History Searches”