Turney family tree

If you need help with your family history research then post your question here.
jonesa
male

Turney family tree

Post by jonesa »

Hi  :)
  My name is Andrew Jones. And we are researching my wife's family tree which is the Turney/ Springham tree. We have been able
to get back as far as 1500 with the Springhams and 1400 with the Turney tree.
  The help we would like to get would be on the Turney's tree. We know that the Turney's came from the Slapton area of Buckinghamshire.
And we also belivee that the name Turney comes from the name of Tournai. Our reasons for the this is that lands and a farm was given
by Count Allan to a geffroi de Tournai. Both Count Allan and Geoffroi de Tournai came over with William the Conquorer. Geffroi De Tournai beng a man of Count Allan's (meaning i believe a knight under the command of Count Allan).
  The help i require is the history of the Tournai family and the name changes from 1066 to 1400 Any help you may be able to give me would be greatfully recieved.
    Andrew Jones
gbernard13
female

Re : Turney family tree

Post by gbernard13 »

Hi Andrew,

I've noticed there are a few references of your ancestor in the Domesday books at National Archives (Kew) .  Have you tried there?

jonesa
male

Post by jonesa »

Hi

Thank you for your very prompt reply. And in answer no i have not thought of the national archives. Now living in Perth Western Australia creates it's own problems when trying to carry out this type of research. Seeking your advice in regards to the Domesday book is not on line now or is it an abridged version.

Regards

Andrew
gbernard13
female

Post by gbernard13 »

Hi Andrew,

This is the link for the Domesday Book: You can pay for it via paypal.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D7314217

Reference:E 31/2/2/7250 Description:
Place name: Stenning, Swineshead, Lincolnshire
Folio: 348v Great Domesday Book
Domesday place name: Steveninge
People mentioned within entire folio: Aethelstan; Alnoth; Alric; Broklauss; Count Alan; Eadric; Earl Aelfgar; Ralph, Earl of East Anglia; Earnwig; Eudo, man of Count Alan; Geoffrey de Tournai, man of Count[Alan; Gyrth, man of Count Alan; Healfdene; Holmkell; Kolgrimr, man of Count Alan; Landric, man of Count Alan; Ormkil; Ralph the staller; Sigefrith; Siward; Svartbrandr; Svavi; Swein; Thorkil; Toli, man of Count Alan; William, King William the Conqueror as litigant; Wulfbert

Date: 1086 Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Looks like his name appears on a list.  There might be more reference books at these archives to consult.  On a next visit might be able to look into it further.

Regards,

Gail
jonesa
male

Post by jonesa »

Hi Gail

Thank you once again for this information, this may now lead to bigger things. Sat up to the early hours reading through
the Domesday book last night, and found a reference to Geoffroi de Tournai at Slapton.

Regards

Andrew
gbernard13
female

Post by gbernard13 »

Thanks. Glad it was of some use. 

Return to “Family History Searches”