General question: French Census forms - women's maiden / married / divorced names

If you need help with your family history research then post your question here.
angelcel
angelcel
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Text
View their family tree
I've noticed that French census forms seem to be filled in with the female adult in the family using her maiden name. So, for example, a Mr. Pierre Dubois (head of household) will be listed with his wife being, say, Jeanne Michel (not Jeanne Dubois). What if Jeanne is divorced from a former husband, or widowed however? Is there a protocol on what name she would fill in - still her maiden name? Or her former partner's name?
Advice greatly appreciated!
forhanp
forhanp
Entry mode: Text
View their family tree
Hi,

As French, I'm pretty sure that all census form are filled with maiden name.
In column "Observations" you can find some others information like widow or family relationship.

Regards,
Pascal Forhan
fvielfau
fvielfau
View their family tree
hello

I agree to the answer of Forhanp.

the divorced or widowed women keep the "maiden name"

in the french law (Code Civil) the woman must not take the name of the husband : it's only a usage
so, the divorce or the husband's death doesn't change anything : the women keep all the life the name of the birth record.

anyway, in the french law, we don't tell about "maiden name", but "patronyme" (patronimic name) or "nom de famille" (family name) .. since the the law of the 19 june 2003 :
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000000778913&categorieLien=id

Nevertheless, I, sometimes, meet that the census agent note the woman with the name of the husband (in particular in the census of 1911) : it's quite surprising and abnormal.

François
angelcel
angelcel
Entry mode: Graphic
View their family tree
Thank you both! I have found that the lady I was looking for had married a man with exactly the same surname as her maiden name. All very confusing and it initially led me to think that she had illegitimate children.
It's all clear now. Thank you for taking the time to reply - it was fascinating to learn that in France women must, by law, keep their maiden name.
forhanp
forhanp
View their family tree
Hi,

To be accurate : Women can use the name they want when they are married (Husband name, Patronymic name, composed name with the two names), but when they have to fill some papers for administration, only patronymic can be used.

Regards,
Pascal Forhan

Return to “Family History Searches”