A Sevier County woman found the revolver, a .36-caliber Spiller and Burr carried by a Confederate officer, among her father’s possessions after he died last year. Now the gun’s on its way home to its rightful owner in the former Confederate capital – 35 years after someone stole it from a display case and just in time for the war’s 150th anniversary.
The gun had been a legend around the museum since December 1975, when it disappeared from the collection. The six-shot revolver is one of only about 1,400 made between 1862 and 1864 by Spiller and Burr, one of the Confederacy’s few gunmakers.
Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up