Hundreds of thousands of documents, some dating from the late 19th century, are to be destroyed as part of the Property Registration Authority’s move towards e- conveyancing.
In early 2007 the authority – formerly the Registrar of Deeds and Titles – announced that land certificates were to be abolished by December 31st, 2009, and replaced by an electronic system. Land certificates were introduced in 1892 when the Land Registry was established.
The authority estimates there are about 700,000-800,000 land certificates. Although some are in the possession of property owners, many are held by banks or solicitors as security.
Log in to leave a comment. Sign In / Sign Up