Searching for Jean DORE, Pierre DORE and Jean Jehan DORE

elaine59
female
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Graphic
View their family tree
Searching for my French ancestors.  Jean DORE, his children Pierre DORE and Jean Jehan DORE in Caen, Normandy.
elaine59
female
Entry mode: Graphic
Browsing: Graphic
View their family tree
Hi Good Afternoon

Thank you for responding to my post.  I do not have a date of birth for Jean Dore, however, he was married to Gillette Baufils, born in St Lo. They had two children, that I know of. 

Pierre Dore, born 1657, in Caen, married Marguerite Du Bec or Du Bel? 14th August 1688 in Thorpe Le Soken, Essex.  They had eight children and I have the names and dates for these. 

Jean Jehan Dore, I do not have his date of birth, but he married Ann Omfrey, 24th October 1694 in French Church, La Patente, Spitalfields, London.  They seem to have had only one child and I have the name and date for these.

I would like to be able to take my search further, but up to now this has proven difficult, having limited information about Jean Dore and his wife Gillette Baufils.  Their trade, when they came to England was Weaving, so presumably this is a trade they would have had prior to leaving Normandy.

I would be grateful for any help or information you could give me to further my search.  The downside, is I do not speak French, which limits my research.
orange38
orange38
Good afternoon
Quick answer: I looked into the archives of two departments in France
* for the Calvados , district for Caen : http://archives.numerisees.calvados.fr/cg14v3/registre.php,            very little has been kept
* for the Manche , district for Saint Lô: http://recherche.archives.manche.fr/?id=recherche_etat_civil,          nothing left for the period 1600-1700

Very little has been kept, as Normandy was heavily bombed in 1944.

One question: what was their religion ? I guess they were protestants, as there was little reason for French people to emigrate during the 1680's to the country of the "enemy" ....
The only reason would be that in 1685, the "Edit de tolérance" was cancelled by the king. Big emigration of skilled people followed, making the fortune of the Netherlands and Prussia.
---> having that information would help in narrowing the overall search.

Even if official archives have been destroyed for these two big towns, it is likely that the first mention of these location was to simplify the answer. For instance an UK citizen touring in Colorado would reply "I am from London", instead of "from Cheshunt or Bromley or Clacton on sea".........
----> So there is a little hope that some other people had a look in other towns

I replied on your personal mail

Return to “France”