How can I read a genealogy chart?

If you need help with your family history research then post your question here.
mcclured
female
Hello:  I have found my family's tree, under the name Fernand Boucher.  It is in French.  I can understand my mother, her father, and her grandparents on the chart, which is arranged in an outline format.    My problem is that I cannot be sure I am correctly reading the chart.    There are numbers on the left.  I don't know if they designate generations?
Am I to understand, for example, that as in a typical outline format, if I follow the leftmost margin, each successive generation is indented?  That is what I would think. However, when I try to interpret it that way, there are dates that are later than I would expect when I look down the chart???  Can anyone help me?  I would try to contact the person who owns the tree, but I do not see how to do so, and his tree is all in French.  I do not speak French.  Too bad. 
Thank you for your help.
Diane
mrcrow2u
male
Entry mode: Text
Browsing: Text
View their family tree
Without seeing it I cannot tell you for sure how it is configured. I recommend you use Google Translator and type it in the way you see it. This should translate it enough for you to understand how it is configured. You could also type the entire chart into this and copy and paste the translated version into word. A little time consuming but effective.

Return to “Family History Searches”