Build Your Family Tree, Share Your Family History and Improve Your Genealogy Research

Geneanet

Sign In

Forgot username or password

Search :
Advanced Search

Forums - United States

Author Topic: Salucia Sophronia (Clark) Squibb  (Read 1344 times)
tanbrae

« on: 07 May 2012, 02:06:23 »

I've hit a brick wall finding her parents. Not sure where else to look. Tried Google-ing her name various ways, and did get a birth and a death date. Her husband was part of my maternal grandmother's side.
If anybody has any ideas where to look, I'd appreciate the help. I think she was born in Ohio in 1814. That's a possibility I've come up with. Why her parents are never listed, I don't know.
She was married to Robert Squibb.
bmesenbrink

« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2012, 19:29:38 »

She has had me stumped since I began researching many years back. She married Robert Squibb in Clinton county, Iowa on November 26, 1857. But the marriage record doesn't list parents. I've got a birth date of 13 July 1841, making her only 16 at the time of her marriage. I would think her parents would have to be around somewhere close by.  I've searched Clinton county, researching all the Clarks I could find, but I can't find any that are a good fit to be her family. Also, she should be listed in the 1850 census, probably in Ohio, but no luck. I have an obituary as well, but no help.

Bob
tanbrae

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2012, 18:03:25 »

Thanks, Bob. I'm joining the local genealogy group this week, so may be able to get help through them - even if it's just suggestions as to where to search. Wow! It's like she's not really a person!
tanbrae

« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2012, 15:01:16 »

Have found what may be a record containing her parents' names.
Father could be Dani Clark, mother's name could be Phebe. I've hit a dead end on them, too, though, so far.
bmesenbrink

« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2012, 18:05:24 »

Good luck with Daniel and Phebe. Saw a Daniel in Lyons in 1856 census, but no Phoebe and the rest of the family doesn't match so not the right ones.

Salucia was only about 16 when she married. Being that young, I  would expect to find her parents nearby. I found a copy of the Clinton County marriage record that I made from microfilm, and Clinton County didn't show parents at that time. So no help.

So the big question for me is why can't we find her in the 1856 Iowa census. They might have only been there for a short time. I'm starting to think that it was a broken family. One or both of her parents died, or she ran away. It's hard to find people when you don't know there name, so I hope the Daniel/Phoebe possibility works out.
tanbrae

« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2012, 14:42:41 »

I, too, am wondering if this is a broken home/family thing. The one reason I think these could be her parents are the children listed. Guess I'll keep searching, but I need to put more effort into the other ancestors.
bvblack

« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2013, 00:16:54 »

I located this board when looking for information about an ancestor, Elisha Clark, born 1848 in Ohio.  Like Salucia Clark, I can find no history about his parents, exact location of birth or information prior to his marriage.  I had wondered if they might, by coincidence, have been siblings?  Of course, it could just be wishful thinking on my part in trying to identify a "mystery" ancestor.   Clark is a common name and Ohio is a large area.
bmesenbrink

« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2013, 02:18:49 »

Yes, common name in a big state, but one never knows. Salucia moved to Iowa by 1856. When and where does Elisha first show up? Also, it might be interesting if there are any family names in common. Salucia had Martha Jane, Mary Elizabeth,Robert, Blanche, Ellen, Barney, Nora, Melvina, William and Caleb.
bvblack

« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2013, 03:03:21 »

Elisha Clark married Florence Boggs in Stark County, Illinois 28 Feb 1875. That is the earliest record I have found.  They lived in Toulon, Illinois and later Peoria, Illinois.
Children were May C., Clara Mary, Emma, Bessie E,, Elizabeth, Leslie Gordon, Walter E., Helen L. and Florence Virginia (my grandmother).
Elisha appeared in the 1880 and 1900 Federal census reports and passed away in 1902.