Build Your Family Tree, Share Your Family History and Improve Your Genealogy Research

Geneanet

Sign In

Forgot username or password

Search :
Advanced Search

Forums - Digital Photography

Author Topic: Selling Photos to Parents  (Read 2851 times)
salamnavi

« on: 22 December 2009, 07:53:14 »

I am currently a high school student and I shoot for the yearbook at most of the sports events. My question is would I be able to sell these photos of the athletes to parents and relatives through smugmug or some similar site. Would I need to get a release from the school. I believe that we all sign a consent form for photographs before we attend. Thanks for all of the input.

thanks

-------------------------------
Epixium
cveillette

Family Tree
Graphic Family Tree

« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2011, 08:37:08 »

Selling photos that are posted for family is pretty cheap and disqusting!! This is why family family takes the time and care for other family members to enjoy not for some smut profit or any profit!! , I would think a lawsuit could be in order due to how photo shop creeps.
gmialocq

Family Tree
GeneWeb

« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2011, 18:03:58 »

You might try selling something you created yourself rather than trying to benefit from the work of others.  Family photos are sacred and we have no right to sell those of others.
drawsalot

Family Tree
GeneWeb

« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2011, 01:16:56 »

I believe he is referring to selling photos that he has taken at athletic events. The students in these photos he believes have released photos as part of enrollment. To the original poster, I see no problem with you selling photos of a game to the parents of students in your photos, this is commonplace. Much like professional photographers sell photos of football games to newspapers and magazines. Be aware however, that any faces recognizable in the photos require model releases if you intend to sell them for publishing on the internet or in newspapers.

That said, I believe the parents would welcome good quality photographs of their children involved in sports, such as running a play in football or making a basket, etc.
mpendergrass

Family Tree
Graphic Family Tree

« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2011, 17:44:33 »

You might find out who owns the copyright to the photos you take.  It might be that the school does if you are taking the photos for a class and just like parents sign releases for photos taken of their kids during school events, you may well have sign away your rights to the photos you take.
Jump to :